Wadefish or Sabalo

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Wadefish or Sabalo

Post by PiratePete »

I am looking to build 2 SoT Kayaks & adding a Hobie Mirage drive to them.

I have read the spots off all the builds I can find for both the Wadefish & Sabalo Kayaks.

I have never built a stitch & glue boat but am an electrician by trade & have built my own house so skills should be OK.

I would love some feedback regarding fors & against for either of these 2 boats. Reading the specs they seem to be very similar.

Thanks in advance

Pete
Tassie
Australia
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Re: Wadefish or Sabalo

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

The SOT debate of which model is best for what use is a highly debated issue and has many factors :roll: I have been studing these issues for a year now in both Plastic and wood built kayaks and like any other types of boats rather paddle or power each one has a very speical application and as all vessels some are Dryer than others depending on what type of weather and water conditions they are beening used in :!: In the world of SOT kayaks there is a VERY SMALL differance between what is considered a Dry or Wet Ride :!: And a dry or wet ride is some times differant to each paddler :!: These are the specs for the Sabalo and Wadefish and I will try to explain the Differance's.

15'x28" 15'x27"
bow/mid-ship/aft
15" 11" 12" 14" 9.5 10"
Max. Cap.
375# 325# (depends on build weight after build
which depends on how much epoxy
is used by builder which depends on his
on thier skills with epoxy and any
changes the builder add's)

So with these figure's in mind I will start with the Sabalo and as you can see to start with is 1" wider which add's to it's beam which increases it's stablity,buoyancy and max. weight capacity. It also has a taller side profile(free board) which gives it a dryer ride but also adds to it's side wind profile. Which means it could be subject to more windcocking than the Wadefish because the Wadefish has a lower side profile making the the Wadefish better in a windy conditions. But this gives the Wadefish a wetter ride in those conditions but has less problem with windcocking giving the Wadefish more control in windy conditions. This is the Main Differance bewteen the two boats :!: The Wadefish was designed to be PADDLED in a more Extreme Environment :!: So with this said When chosing to build the Wadefish it is Extremely Important to keep your epoxy use to a minimum because of it's very low profile. I wouldn't recommend adding anything extra to the Wadefish because of it's designed purpose. The Wadefish is for those who want a wood built kayak for paddling in EXTREME ENVIRONMENT'S if your looking for a dryer ride I would highly recommend the Sabalo or Capefear as these were designed to be Dry Ride's for those looking for less Adventure :wink:
Last edited by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

LIGHT KEEPER'S KID wrote:The Wadefish is for those who want a wood built kayak for paddling in EXTREME ENVIRONMENT'S
Please elaborate on "EXTREME ENVIRONMENT'S"

:?:

DM
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID

[/quote]

Please elaborate on "EXTREME ENVIRONMENT'S"

:?:

DM[/quote]
As far as what I would consider to be "EXTREME ENVIRONMENT'S" is a normal Texas weather paddling environment which is a wind that is always 10-15 mph with gusts to 20mph on the coast and large bays to cross and the Beyond the Breakers or which some call surf paddling and fishing 8) And be a condition were little equipment is needed or day trip in those conditions were it would be a Very Wet Environment :wink:
Last edited by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Thanks for your reply Mike

My intended use is in the local rivres & lakes in Tasmania where I cant get my 5.3m Power Boat. I intend to do this with my 15 yo daughter who loves fishing & also enjoys our poly sot kayak. We would be targeting Bream & sea run trout in the Estuarys & Brown & Rainbow Trout in the lakes. I doubt if we would ever use the kayaks in the sea as thats what our Boat is for.

From what you are saying I think I would be better off with the Sabalo than the Wadefish as most of these waters are sheltered & the more stable drier ride would there for be appreciated even if it not necessary.

With the Mirage Drive fitted I would expect it to act a bit like a deeper keel & the slightly higher free board would have a lesser effect.

What effects does the 2 diffrent style of hulls have? Wadefish is relatively flat & the Sabalo has "V" shape at the stern.

Looking foward for more replys.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Don't forget the Cape Fear SOT that is available.
-Matt. Designer.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID

To me theres not much differance in the chimes on the hulls. I would say the Wadefish has a softer chime than the Sabalo. I would think this would give the Wadefish a less noticeable transition from intial stablitiy to it's secondary stablitiy but that is a good question for the designer :wink: If i was that smart I'd be the Designer instead of the paddler :lol: The V on the Sabalo I beleave is to give it more Free Board and add's to it's Tracting giveing it an advanage of less need for a rudder 8) And I'll end by saying the Capefear has a very fast transition from its intial to it's secondary stablitiy which is going to make it the most stable :wink:
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I love my Sabalo. The Wadefish built by the guys on this forum are all beautiful boats, but for some reason I prefer the lines of the Sabalo over the Wadefish, but that is just my opinion. I realized I needed to build one after seeing Bemm's beautiful results.

My Sabalo tracks like an arrow and it is very stable. My 4 year old walks around on it while I paddle. He likes to sit up high on the top of the front deck.

We actually had our weight shifted out over the edge much farther than this photo and didn't flip it.

I built mine like a tank for our rocky coastline and rough ocean waters. The hull was 61 pounds upon completion. With all the rigging it is 70 pounds. I use it in local rivers as well. In open water I don't think it needs a rudder due to its strong tracking. I use a rudder to assist in turning it in tight areas due to its strong tracking. Bemm has built both and will probably have some good info if he chimes in.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Thanks guys

The water that Craiggamesh's Sabalo is in is like the water we hope to fish & maybe only get into bigger water on the odd occasion.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Sabalo has excellent manners off shore

This sort of water is a breeze for Sabalo

Will post Wadefish photos when we get out again. Me and SWMBO's first impressions are its faster than Sabalo I had it starting to surf in conditions a little rougher than above picture

I guess I should add that everyone has thier limits and I am buy no way encouraging people to venture offshore

Geez these pictures make me want to paddle now :evil:

A few more for good measure

Cheers Paul