A canoe or a dingy for lake fishing?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by lncc63 »

You're right about my having an active imagination but it sometimes goes way off tangent and needs to be pulled down to reality. Thanks just the same.

Yeah having detachable mounts will also work. Each pair of mounts could be built as a single unit so the number of bolts to be unscrewed will be less. Also, the weight of each bed will be less. Good idea.

Still haven't decided on which canoe to build. I like the Townsend but maybe this is just an infatuation.
Louis
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Lois,

ALL canoes are infatuation. A man has only one virginity, and if he loses it to a good boat, it's a good thing.

Canoes are not only a logically exquisite craft, master of many waters. They also sail in our minds, and in our hearts. We meld with them, become one with them, and they one with us. Is that romantic? You bet your life it is. Canoes just kind of do that sort of thing to people.

Some boxy boats are just a rough hole in the water with wood surrounding it. But a canoe ... oh a canoe is a graceful woman - a bird.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Townsend is a nice, simple, but effective utility boat. Will serve a family for lake fishing well.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Since Kayak Jack put it the way he did, I'll confess that the BHC was next on my list. It took 2nd place because it would not take as much load (700lbs) and it would be more expensive to build. However, now with Kayak Jack's spin to the whole thing, the cost doesn't seem that important. Correct me if I am wrong but ain't the BHC one sexy lady?
Louis
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

BHC is a nice looking boat. Much larger, especially in width, than the Townsend.

Meant for mostly for rowing, but could be paddled if needed.
-Matt. Designer.
banoe

Post by banoe »

After building a Townsend and fishing from it last year.

Build a Towndsend it catches fish!

I think a canoe is much better to fish from than a row boat its faster, quieter, lighter, easer to handle, and just as stable,
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

... it catches fish!
That's what I wanted to hear! Just put in an order for one.
Louis
banoe

Post by banoe »

Great! Let me know if you need any help when you start building
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Sure will. Thanks.
Louis
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Hey Banoe, what option did you build? I got my plans and was reading them over lunch. Puzzled as to which option to go with, I started searching Matt's site and saw your exchange about the plywood thickness.

I'm thinking I'd like to glass the whole thing so it will last forever however I'm worried about the puncture resistance of the 3/16" plywood. I could go with the 1/4" ply however it may make it heavier than necessary. I have no problem adding a few ribs to prevent any oil canning. I think it will make the canoe look nicer - more traditional?
Louis