Shorten the length of DK Touring Canoe

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
petda84

Shorten the length of DK Touring Canoe

Post by petda84 »

Hi
I have dowloaded the plans for the DK Touring Canoe and have realised it is too long to build in my garage. I wish to cut the 5.52m length down to 4.52 m. Can I cut a 1m section from the middle to achieve this??
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Shorten the length of DK Touring Canoe

Post by jem »

You can but the hull won't have a smooth, continuous bend in the middle. It will have an slight bumped/sharp angle.
-Matt. Designer.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Petda84,

I built a DK it's a beast of a boat (in the best sense) but if you want a smaller boat buy one of Matt's other plans.

The DK may be free but it's very basic the extra $ fpr the plans will pay you back in no time. I reckon the Merrimac would be a great craft or one of the Pirogues.

Tor
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Yes,

I agree with Tor, Merrimac or Iroquois would well suit your needs, are fine boats and the plans are dirt cheap compared to other designers.

Mats pirogues are also superb boats in their own right and are even cheaper! Heck, I spill more than they cost when having a drink. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)