Sabalo - tank well and "holey frames"

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Sabalo - tank well and "holey frames"

Post by Tor »

Ok I'm now clinically addicted to these builds :roll: :roll:

I'm going to have to install a heater in the shed to build a new project each winter and fish in the summer.

Wanting a sit on so that I can keep the inside of the boat a little cleaner when fishing I have decided on the Sabalo (cheque will be in the post shortly...),

I am completely inspired by this build of Bemm 52
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2345&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=sabalo

but need to ask a few questions
Last edited by Tor on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Sabalo - tank well and "holey frames"

Post by Tor »

sorry got interrupted when the shopping arrived and needed putting away :lol:

yes where was I? ah yes

Can the tank well be made deeper there seems a lot of space beneath the base, I'm thinking a bit of insulation a lid and a bilge pump to recirculate some water should keep the catch fresh.

The holes in the frame I assume this is to reduce the weight and isn't part of the plans, do you get more access to some areas also?

Bemm, did the handles work well? could you post some piccies of the inside of the recesses to show the clearance for your knuckles?

False transom? if I was to extend the panels at the rear above the waterline when fully laden and add a second transom would this be strong enough to mount a electric motor? the gap between the rear of the yak and the new transom would be used to mount and protect the transducer.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

I have some input on the holey frames. I did the same to cut down on weight. When all was said and done, I wish I would not have done it. I weighed all the little disks I cut out and they added up to about 1 pound. However, the additional work required to be certain that all edges of the plywood were sealed in case water got into the underside (and it has due to hatches being open out in the rain) was not worth the 1 pound in savings IMHO. The cutouts that Matt specifies in the plans allow access where I needed it. I made the two on the side frames near the front of the cockpit larger and more square rather than the arch the plans called for and I can get plano and shimano tackle boxes into the sides and under the seat. I did double the plywood up in a small area where the square hole is cut to make up for the loss in strength.
If I remember correctly, I can get six tackle trays in this way. single stacks on the sides, and double stacked under the seat. However, i have to some times remove a couple to get to the one I want. I also put a small 4 inch hatch between my legs in case stuff slid way back under the seat so I could push it back forward. I used an 8" quarter turn hatch from Duckworks.

Here is the link to how I did it.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2811&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
I added the foam mesh drawer liner stuff from Harbor Freight (or any of the other department/hardware stores) to the below deck floors to keep things from sliding and to keep things quiet.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=67055
I wish I would have done recessed handles like Bemm. I just used store bought ones and I wish they were stiff an non- moveable like he did. I think it would give me a better grip.

As for the depth of the tank well, I believe the tank well is near the water line so any deeper and you may be towing around additional water. You could make a custom insert like Hairy Mick did for his Okwata
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2501&start=90

I may do this to make an insulated fish box.

I hope this helps you.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Tor i agree with Craigimesh the cut outs in the frames are a waste of time and energy.................

I would keep the tank well as drawn it is quiet deep.............space between tankwell and cockpit on my build is fully sealed and I added a drain plug that can be opened to flood well to waterline as a fish keeping tank...........kill tank.

space in the bow is enormous although difficult to access while on board if building again I would build in some rod tubes into this area just something to protect top halves.

I did spread the cockpit supports under the cockpit floor to provide more usable storage space between my legs this is where i keep my tackle boxes.

Handles do work but one pair were a bit out as far as placement went for pickup balance.............however I use them alot as tydown spots and liked them so much I built them into Wadefish as well.

Little console between my feet gets used alot to its also good spot for sounder.

Also recessing foot braces/steering is worth the extra work.

Good luck...........and enjoy the build. PS will take some handle shots on weekend remind me if I forget...........Cheers Paul :D :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Tankwell can be made deeper but the sides are angled so it will be trial and error to get it to fit. Is there a specific depth you wanted?

The holes are for weight a little reduction.

You could add a mounting point for a small trolling motor off the back. But the hull balance will be effected.
-Matt. Designer.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Thanks Matt.

The way I load up my yaks they're pretty unbalanced anyway :oops: a bit of extra on the back will probably be balanced with too much stuff up front, and it'll still be better balanced than my mates tupperware beast.

just kicking around ideas as we do...

Tor
Tor

Post by Tor »

Order's in the system gives me 6 months to plan...