Laker 13 Stability

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!

Re: Laker 13 Stability

Post by Guest »

Bob,

I live in northern California, San Francisco Bay Area. I would be using the kayak on lakes, slow moving rivers & streams and maybe some sheltered marinas/harbors.

I'm 63 years old and have never paddled a kayak. I was drawn to the Laker 13 by it's light weight and relatively short length and ease of construction.

I visualize a kayak that's stable enough that I can relax and enjoy the sights, and not be in a constant state of balancing the craft.

Again, since I'm new to kayaks, I'll defer to the knowledgeable members of this great forum for advice.

Thanks,
Wayne
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Wayne,

I am 55 years old and weigh 200 pounds. I just can't imagine you finding a Laker unstable.

If you weigh more than me, you might like to consider a bigger Laker or perhaps the Freedom 13.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Guest wrote:I would be using the kayak on lakes, slow moving rivers & streams and maybe some sheltered marinas/harbors.
Perfect!

And it's just occurred to me that if you can ride a bike you can paddle a Laker.

At this stage I'd say go for it. 8)

In a couple of weeks I'm going to meet up with some locals from the woodwork forums to compare some boats. Will see if I can get pics of testing the Laker's limits ie trying to capsize and self rescue. Should be fun and the pics might give you some more info - if you can wait that long.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Hi Wayne,

I'm 64 years old and although I own 3 power boats, a sail boat and a canoe, I got my first kayak about six months ago. It was the best decision I ever made. I use it almost every morning and apart from good exercise, it is always a wonderful experience.

The kayak I got is one of those ugly plastic sit on tops. It is as stable as hell, but since the day I got it I wished that I had got something a bit sleaker and faster. Thats why I am now building an Okwata.

I havent paddled a laker, but I have now tried out a number of kayaks and it doesnt take too long to gain confidence. I must say though, that my sons racing TK1 is a bit of a handfull and beyond my capabilities.

Go for it mate. Build the one that you would really like. Faint heart never won fair lady.

Cheers
Roger.
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Some here have reported laker as being 'tippy"
Quite likely that I would have been one of those that found the Laker a bit tippy to begin with. By that I meant 10 minutes or so. I spent the first ten minutes getting used to the boat, as I believe anyone should. How far could I lean and or brace, and yet still feel safe both moving and stationary? I got the waterline up to the coaming and felt better for having done so. Within the next two hours I was chasing the biggest fastest (Ilegally fast for the area they were in) Boats I could find. I used the wakes of their boats to test both myself and my new friend. I buried the nose almost to the cockpit going first into and then down the far side of their wake. I attacked their wakes from both sides at all angles and from behind. Yes I deliberately put myself into what I could imagine would be the worst case scenario on a day with a fair bit of swell but warm water :lol: to fall into if I needed/happened to. PFD, WEAR ONE!
I have had some previous experience with kayaks and rowing sculls so had an idea of what to expect. The whole point of the exercise was to familiarise myself with the Laker. What it would do, and what I would do about it, in different situations.
I reckon that's probly a good idea for anyone and particularly so for someone with little or no experience.
To sum up: it was probly ME that was a bit tippy. The laker is absolutely fine for beginners that take the time and effort to become accustomed to it. Like anything new you have to test your limits in a relatively safe controlled environment. Probably the best thing you could do on your first outing would be to fall out and get over the idea that that would be terminal.
As mentioned above seat height above floor will have a big influence on how you feel. Easy fixed, just start off by sitting on the floor: add seat as required when and to where you are comfortable. As Roger and others have said itsa confidence thing only you can award yourself that. I'm probly as unco as anyone and I can do it :roll:

Yes you get used to it, and no its not a constant balancing act. That said, common sense dictates that you don't fall asleep. My daughter and son in law paddled the Laker and it was their first time in a kayak, they both reported feeling totaly safe.
Regards John.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Hi -

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I couldn't pass up the Nor Cal question. I have a partial Merrimac in my garage that I really need to get back to. But the point of my post is that Handloggers Flooring in Richmond stocks all manner and thicknesses of marine grade plywood.

- Hank