Laker 13 Stability

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
UndertheRedwoods

Laker 13 Stability

Post by UndertheRedwoods »

Hi All,

I'm new to boats and have been lurking around this great forum for a while now, reading everything about the Laker 13 that I can find.

With all the glowing reports, I think I would like to build one but, have a concern regarding this models stability.

I realize that stability is subjective, however, having never paddled a kayak before, is the Laker 13 lack of initial stability (as compared to the Freedom series) something one gets used to and becomes second nature or is it a constant balancing act?

Thank you in advance,
Wayne
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Laker 13 Stability

Post by OnkaBob »

G'Day Wayne,

I wouldn't say the Laker "lacks" initial stability as such although some people have referred to it as "tippy". I have fished from mine which means I can sit in it without being 100% on guard all the time and found it fine unless there are other factors - like drifting into the mangroves :roll: . Have been caught in 15-20 knot winds and chop and managed to get home without rolling it. Tried to lean it far enough to fill it with water while practicing self rescue and found it is hard to get it that far without having to go for the full capsize.

Personally I think that a little movement is a good thing as it sharpens up the balance senses. As you gain experience in a boat like this you develop an ability to react to subtle changes of angle and automatically do little corrections all the time. This means that you are aware earlier when you need to do something more.

I also have this perception that if you come to rely on primary stability all the time and the boat's secondary stability isn't proportionally as good then you are more likely to be caught out. But then I haven't paddled all that many different boats - anyone else have thoughts on this?

Ultimately the only way to be absolutely sure is to have a test paddle in various boats and pick which suits you.

Wonder if Matt would be able to generate some stability curves for the various models :?:
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Freedom series is going to be more stable. Laker will move faster on the water.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Wayne and welcome aboard.

Some here have reported laker as being 'tippy" but i think that has more to do with the seat height than anything else.

Those who have made this claim have all devated from the plans and made their seats HIGHER than that stated in the specs.

Laker is a great boat mate. I built the prototye 13, still have it and would neve part with it. i have paddled it in mild white water and smallish surf. Even though she is not designed for this, she is still capable in my opinion.

I like laker so much and have so much faith in the design that Let my friends two kids (both first time paddlers) use them. They had no difficulty at all with this so called "tippyness"

Sam, aged 14.

Sasha aged 10

Likewise, My friend, who has only ever paddled very wide, stable, plastic sit on tops before tried a laker and instantly fell in love with the boat. :D

and relegated Sasha to be bowman in my canoe. :shock:
:D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
UndertheRedwoods

Post by UndertheRedwoods »

Thanks all for your response to my stability concerns, I think I'm going to go ahead and build the Laker 13.

Do the kits come with the plans? I'm having a hard time locating Okoume marine ply within a reasonable driving distance and it's to expensive to have shipped, so just might go with a kit.

I did find a local supplier that had a marine ply called Hydro-Tek, anyone familiar with it? Is it any good?

Thanks again,
Wayne

Post by Guest »

Bob, Matt & Mick,

Thanks you all for your insights on the Laker's stability. I am still trying to decide if the Laker would be the right boat at this time. Perhaps, I should consider a model with more initial stability as a first kayak, then move up to a Laker once I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm doing.

Thanks again all,
Wayne
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I agree with Mick,seating needs to be very low are you will experience the tippy feeling ,even an inch higher makes a lot of difference
I enjoy mine but think I just gave it away this weekend I like the longer boats.
Ron
Ps SHE IS GOING TO A GOOD HOME AND 10 BOATS IN THE SHED IS TO MUCH ,NO ROOM FOR THE NEXT ONE ..
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

UndertheRedwoods wrote:Thanks all for your response to my stability concerns, I think I'm going to go ahead and build the Laker 13.

Do the kits come with the plans? I'm having a hard time locating Okoume marine ply within a reasonable driving distance and it's to expensive to have shipped, so just might go with a kit.

I did find a local supplier that had a marine ply called Hydro-Tek, anyone familiar with it? Is it any good?

Thanks again,
Wayne
The shop I partnered with us to make the kits went out of business. I don't have a new source for kits yet. Hydro-Tek is a good boat building wood but I think 6mm is the thinnest it is available.
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Wayne,

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Laker but with all the experience on this forum if you can give some indication of your main paddling conditions and type of use - eg rivers, lakes, swamps, sea? exercise, fishing, phtography? etc and also the area you are in then someone may be able to make a recommendation on the most suitable.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I went back and read my post. I want to stress giving the Laker away was not a slap at the boat it is a great yak.
Ron