epoxy, hardenr, flour mix

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: epoxy, hardenr, flour mix

Post by OnkaBob »

I think we need to know what type of joints snapped and how they were being moved. Can you post some pics?

For instance if you are doing butt joints of side panels and try to move them before reinforcing with either glass or a block then they would be expected to snap unless supported very carefully. However if filleting panels that have been stitched into a 3D shape then they should be strong.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
firestang
Type of boat I like: wadefish

Post by firestang »

Your exactly on the money there Onka. It was to but join panels, It snapped cos we didnt support it.
Ive learnt a few things from this one process, so all in all its been a good lesson of what works and what doesnt.
firestang
Type of boat I like: wadefish

Post by firestang »

Well at last i got the mixture right :D
It took a while and i thought id show some of the "mixes" i tried and what the look like.

On the left i have a mix from normal sawdust from a dropsaw/mitre saw. It very course but what i found was that it set like concrete and in join testing it was pretty solid. In 300 ml of poly resin i used roughly 15ml of hardener. The normal mix i use is 300ml to about 8-10 ml of hardener.

Next to it is the same dust but with a normal amount of hardener as stated. What this did was interesting. When it set the mix became rubbery. It is fully "off" but there is a slight rubbery feeling to , no stickyness at all and and it flexes slightly and shows no signs whatsoever of crumbling apart :shock:

Then we have a more normal mix but light on the powder (from an orbital sander extraction bag) in what would be classed as the glue. It was mixed to a consistency half the thickness of peanut butter , maybe a bit thinner.

On the far right is the mix we went with , slightly thicker than peanut butter and dry. We let the dust sit in the resin once mixed to soak up as much resin as possible then added the hardener. The finnish or the joins has a sheen when set and is very hard.
I will post the recipe for it tomorrow night as i forgot this time.

The one that did not show up properly is bellow.

Its a sample i made to show some ppl what three times the amount of hardener will do in a mix. It did get hot and did start to smoke as it began to crack apart. Although i stopped it from doing so to be able to let ppl see what it looked like. :lol: