Laker Questions

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Patrick

Laker Questions

Post by Patrick »

My Laker 13 is progressing nice. I have the deck stiched together and need to final sand the joints before glassing the bottom. I have a few questions please...

1) Could I use a 1/4" thick lattce stip for the sheer clamp in lieu of the plywood the plans call for? My thoughts is that the lattice strip can be installed in one piece in lieu of two or three pieces. The only downfall I see is that the lattice strip is staright and not cut on the same radius as the top of the side panels.

2) How do most builders trim the deck to align with the side panels? I have maximum of 1/2" overhang to a near perfect fit at the bow. I've thought that a Japanese pull saw or jig saw will work, but curious to what others have done. Should I trim the deck before tacking to sides?

3) Is it preferable to glass the deck exterior before or after installing the deck?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I will be building anoteher boat in the future.

Thanks-
Pat
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Laker Questions

Post by jem »

1) should no be an issue. If it won't conform to the exact bend, just glue it on a little higher than the sheer and than sand and/or plane off the excess.

2) Deck is intentionally a little over sized.

3) Either is acceptable. Will save a step if you do it after.
-Matt. Designer.