is okwata suitable

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cridgie down under

is okwata suitable

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi I have had my plans for an okwata 15 for some time now and as i am having so much fun in my laker 14 i just keep putting off the build.However i have now set a start date
for first week in july as i will be in darwin for all of june. My question is this . A mate of mine is also interested in building a kayak, however he is 6'1" tall and weighs 16.5 stone.
for a man of this size would the okwata be suitable or would you recommend a different
kayak out of the Jem range
He has just retired so he is no spring chicken. and i have met a lot of big guys more agile
than him.If the consensus is that the okwata would be suitable, i will of course let you know Matt so we can reimburse you for another kayak being built off my plans if this permissable
Hoping to hear from all you xxxos big guys.
regards cridgie down under ( Ray)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: is okwata suitable

Post by jem »

If my conversion is correct, he's 231 lbs in which case Okwata is just fine. The larger cockpit may be desirable if he thinks he won't have enough room to get in and out.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: is okwata suitable

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ray,

I am 6' tall and weigh 200 pounds and growing. :D

Okwata has no trouble handling my weight and the bigger cockpit is excellent.

Build ya Occy mate. You'll NEVER regret it.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)