gaboon ply

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cridgie down under

gaboon ply

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi has any one built their kayak out of gaboon marine ply.recently . I would like to see some pics so i can see the grain and depth of colour.Example is it darker than pacific maple.
i am about to purchase my ply for my okwata 15
await a reply thanks in anticipation
regards
Cridgie down under
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: gaboon ply

Post by hairymick »

G'day Ray, both my okwata and sasquatch are built with Gaboon (4mm) ithink it is prettier than pac Maple.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

I have had a lot of compliments on my Okwata, but having said that, I must admit that I too think that gaboon is prettier. The pacific maple however is not too bad and a hell of a lot cheaper. I guess you get what you pay for. My concern with gaboon is that I have heard a few bad reports on the quality of recent supplies in Australia. As well as voids etc., it has been said that the middle lamination of ply has been of a cheaper and heavier timber. I would be interested to know if anyone can confirm if these tales are true or false, or if they can name a supplier of a quality product at a reasonable price.

For my next build I am considering using hoop pine marine ply. I know the grain is not as impressive, but at F17, it does have the advantage of being very strong. The added advantage is that is a plantation timber and using it may make me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside. Living in the South East of NSW where the wood chip industry and clear felling of native forests is still a pretty hot issue, the only negative comments about my Okwata have been from people concerned about the indiscriminant destruction of rainforests and the environmental effects.

Cheers Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Roger, there was a lot of sub standard Gaboon here a couple of years ago - I was tempted to buy some becaue of the low price but didn't. The Pac Maple can have extensive voids too - I put up a post a while ago showing light shining through my Laker - see "Plywood Quality" in the Misc section. You may never use Pac Maple again after looking at this.

A current supply of good quality Gaboon is Denman Marine in Tas. Not sure of the prices but the bloke that runs the place really knows his stuff and has found a high quality source. It would at least be worth having a look and assessing if the cost is worth it.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
cridgie down under

Post by cridgie down under »

To onka bob. i have just received a quote from denman marine in tasmania for 4 sheets of gaboon , the cost was $79.00 per sheet . I live in sawtell near coffs harbour and freight costs were, delivered to sydney add cost of app $170.00 and cost to sawtell $375.00
That's about $ 700.00 for 4 sheets of ply .Guess why i am looking else where for the ply for my Okwata 15 ? :cry:

Boatcraft pacific is $59.00 per sheet add freight brisbane to sawtell app. $40.00
Total $276.00 Can any one beat that please?
regards Cridgie down under
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

$700 - Damn! :shock:

Obviously you've been doing the rounds and you may already know about this but.......

For less than that you could buy new Paulownia, have it cut into strips and use the SSG method. It could give you a boat that is just as strong and a bit lighter provided you get the right balance between timber thickness and glass weight. If you think this is a possibility get onto John White at Paulownia Sales: www.paulownia-timber-sales.com.au/. John supplies to strip builders and takes care of his customers. He is at Tyalgum which is a lot closer to you than Tas - or Adelaide for that matter. I intend to build a Paulownia boat sometime (Yes I'm ony a 'gunna' at this stage) and I believe I could have sufficient timber delivered to Adelaide for less that the cost of Gaboon ply.

Good luck with it whichever way you go.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I will make this statement, after building the Duck SS@G I want use ply anymore. It takes a little longer initially but i think you make up time with how easy it stitches up.
Ron