staining plywood

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cridgie down under

Re: staining plywood my research results

Post by cridgie down under »

Well i have finally finished all my experiments with staining .and my conclusion is
that if i stain i will be using a spirit/ alcohol based exterior proof tint color "Jarrah".
On sample ply off cuts i have tinted and then applied epoxy coat then fiber glassed,
then two more coats of epoxy. then i have cut it, bent it,stood on it,jumped on it,and left part out in the sun and part in the shed for four days
with no delamination or apparent fading, blistering etc. etc.
I have spoken to suppliers of stains and epoxy resins and cabinet making tradesmen and no one will give any guarantees or assurances on what the long term effects will be of stain under glass .
So nothing ventured nothing gained
I will probably bite the bullet and stain,
regards Ray
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: staining plywood

Post by olsnappa »

Bellybuster wrote: Another thought would be to add pigments to the epoxy itself, I have seen posts somewhere where someone did just that, it was orange if I remember right
I used an epoxy resin compatible dye on the final coat on my Cape Fear to give a darker colour to the wood.
However I'd advise anyone else to think about it carefully and only consider it if it's to late to tint the wood.
See the post....and the reasons here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2824
Ray..... To also add my 2 cents worth on stains, I used a water base stain on the decks of the CF and my first laker build and haven't experienced any problems.
I'll add that I applied it very diluted and built the colour up gradually, allowing heaps of drying time (in warm sunlight) between coats and the first epoxy coat.
Last edited by olsnappa on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
David Kopera
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: staining plywood

Post by David Kopera »

I used an off the shelf furniture stain (cherry) on the deck of my Laker 13. Came out beautiful with no problems. I think it was Min-wax or one of the name brands. Just don't put it on until after done joining and sanding, or you have to touch-up after each. Of course, I stained it first, then put everything together. Lots of restaining. I am pretty sure it was mineral based not oil. Has epoxy and fiberglass with no ill affects.