Touring Pirogue or SwampGirl?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
ChrisTX

Touring Pirogue or SwampGirl?

Post by ChrisTX »

I live in central TX and would like a 1man boat for river paddling (occasional flatwater or lake paddling). I need something maneuverable, but able to take light rapids (sand bars) and the occasional log-bump. Ideally, it would also have room for camping/fishing equipment.

Which boat would suit my needs better? The Pirogue-TV or the SwampGirl?

Also, I've never built a boat before...so the simpler, the better...but I'm not intimidated by a little work. More satisfaction when you're done :)

Thanks!

Chris
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Touring Pirogue or SwampGirl?

Post by hairymick »

G'day Chris,

I have built and paddled all three.

Simplest build is definately the touring pirogue and bang for buck, is in my humble opinion the best option for a first build. It is also a better option than the Tv if you are doing a lot of shallow water work. It draws less water than the TV.

SwampGirl is a superb boat but is a more complex build.

As far as paddlecraft is concerned, TV is probably superior but again, is a more complex build.

All three boats are suitable for a careful first time builder but I would recommend the Touring Pirogue. It is a great all round boat and I am still giving myself uppercuts for selling mine.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

TP-TV will move through the waters you describe better than the Swamp Girl.

Keep in mind: it will do ok going through it. It won't do well playing in it.
-Matt. Designer.
ChrisTX

Post by ChrisTX »

Thanks guys!

If/when I start building, I'll post pics.

Chris
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I built the Touring Pirogue and love it. Its been crabbing in bays on the west coast and I recently pulled it across country for pike fishing in the midwest. Its very maneuverable, yet easily travels in a straight line when I want it to. The best part is that upon completion, it weighs less than 40 pounds. It was 35 pounds when I first weighed it, but since then, I have added an adjustable seat rest and I have varnished it.

I usually do not paddle it as much as my other boats since I let others use it when paddling with me due to its ease of getting in and out and ease of paddling. In fact, I took it out for a quick trip with my 5 year old boy last Sunday night for the first time in quite awhile. I had forgotten what a joy it is to paddle. I think it will be my river boat when fishing since it is much more maneuverable than my Sabalo. We had such a good time that it is still strapped to the roof of the truck and will probably be put back in the water this weekend.

I can't speak for the Swamp Girl since I have never paddled one, but I don't think you would be disappointed with the Touring Pirogue. Another bonus, the Touring Pirogue is an easy boat to strip build if a person would want to do that.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Chris
Where in Central Texas are you . I am located there also.
I have a perow I built before matt drew the Touring perow t that is very simulair. and I also have the T-V.
Both are good boats but the T-V is my choice paddling lakes and the Brazos.
The T-V is the best all around boat I have.
If we are close together come paddle both of them sometimes.
Ron
I cant comment on the Swamp Girl
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

The Swamp Girl is something that Matt and I came up with for me to use down here in the backwaters , rivers and skinny water. It is a little more complicated ( then the others ) to build but not enough to make a person cuss.
Think of it as a cross between a pirogue , Jon Boat and a canoe. Easy to paddle , takes very little water to float it and has the extra width for more stability.

It's a darn good fishing boat and one to run shallow rivers with when loaded down with camping gear. In fact a buddy of mine keep bugging me till I handed it over to him for his use because he wanted a boat he ( one person ) could slide in the back of his truck and then to use it in the backwaters around here for fishing.

As far as rapids I would not suggest using it in them since it is a lower sided boat and not designed for rough water.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler