camo effect

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cridgie down under

camo effect

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi i have just about finished my okwata 15 but am very disappointed with the quality of my ply ,i used what was supposed to be pacific maple and ordered 4 "matching sheets "however colour variation on the top and sides is very prominent .I can remember seeing a camo yak on this forum by David Kopera a predator he built for his son but i cannot find the pics now
can any one help please with pics and where to purchase a suitable material
regards Cridgie down under
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: camo effect

Post by OnkaBob »

"... but i cannot find the pics now"

Just shows how well the camo works doesn't it? :lol:

Looks like the original pics were deleted. Matt has reposted some in another thread under the title "Buc pics".
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3104
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I built a jon boat for duck hunting and made my own stencils utilizing cardboard cereal boxes and a carpet knife. They looked somewhat like this stencil. It is not mine, just a random photo i found on the web to illustrate how I did it. If I remember right, I made four different patterns, A larger marsh grass type, a smaller marsh grass type, a tree bark type (which i only used on the bottom since it didn't "look right" to me for the area I would use the boat in) and a pattern to resemble brush.

The boat below is mine. I painted the whole boat first with Parker's marsh grass paint.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 2146251080
Then sprayed a random pattern of stripes using the darker Krylon camo paints for shadows. I used the lighter ones to spray through the stencils. The leaves were made with cheap foam rubber stamps my wife had purchased at a craft store.

I think by painting over the epoxy, you will have a better camo affect since it won't be glossy as with the varnished epoxy. JMHO.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
David Kopera

Post by David Kopera »

Hey cridgie,

The material I used was 'Ground Blind Material" that I found at Walmart in the sporting goods section. It is made of nylon mesh instead of the burlap like most ground blind material is made of, which is too thick. I under coated it with a tan spray paint and then applied the material just like fibreglass cloth. It came out pretty good. It is the real tree camo pattern. I have seen other applications on another website that may also work. They used regular material and applied it like glass cloth.

I will try to dig up some pictures when I get home and repost them if you want to see them.