Help needed...

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!

Help needed...

Post by Guest »

I just picked up a new fiberglass kaskazi marlin kayak. This kayak usually comes with a crate that sits on top of the rear hatch but I'd like to build a fiberglass crate that sits down in the hatch, thus keeping the cog low. My plan is to use the current hatch cover as the starting place to build a mold. My first question is, being totally new to doing anything with fiberglass, what is the best way to make this mold? How would you recommend I go about doing it?

Here are pics of the hatch and cover:

Once I get this figured out I'll ask my next questions. :D The owner of kaskazi did send me the matching pigments for the gel coat on my kayak so I shoud be able to build a matching crate.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Help needed...

Post by jem »

Nice yak!

Some good reading here: http://sweetcomposites.com/Mold.html
-Matt. Designer.
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Hi ?
If it were me, I would want to keep the option of the hatch, so O would ust the hatch as a plug, to make a mold of the flange area. I would use lots of PVA release agent to ensure a release. and would use polyester, as it doesn't stick as good as epoxy ( we are talking about a mold of the outside of the hatch).
The second stage would be to add something to the mold ( a foam box, maybe even a plastic tub that is the required shape) a little fairing with car bog or plastacine. Now we have a finished mold of the outer surface , so go ahead and make it. Don't be afraid to give 2 or 3 coat's of PVA to ensure a release.
Good Luck
Col
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

I'd fabricate a stitch and glue box out of 4mm ply, glass the outside and use coloured resin to match.