Hi, and a question about the coaming on the free Laker plans

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Hi, and a question about the coaming on the free Laker plans

Post by JayM »

Hello everyone, just introducing myself and asking a question.

My name is Jay, and I'm in the process of building a Laker from the free plans that Matt has so generously provided. I would eventually like to build a SOT fishing kayak, possible a Sabalo, but since I have never built a boat, decided to start with the free Laker.

Thanks to the amazing amount of expertise so freely shared on this forum, I have had no issues that I couldn't find an answer to, until now, and it's not really a big thing.

In the Laker plans, the coaming is 3 single ply pieces, bent into place and stitched. My question is, is the coaming glassed? I was able to find a thread that showed that style of coaming being installed, and the fiberglass was cut around it, but I couldn't tell if it was actually covered with glass or just epoxied.

Thanks,

Jay
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Hi, and a question about the coaming on the free Laker p

Post by jem »

it should be glassed to the hull.
-Matt. Designer.
JayM

Post by JayM »

Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm having a blast building this thing and already thinking about another one. Can't wait to get it in the water.

I will get some pictures put up soon.

Jay
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

JayM wrote:Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm having a blast building this thing and already thinking about another one. Can't wait to get it in the water.

I will get some pictures put up soon.

Jay

Jay......

Your location offers a lot of good paddling but I am sure that is not new news to you.
Matt designs good boats and they are fun to paddle , I have done both ( Built and paddle ) several of his designs. I am accused of liking the building more then the paddling but that is from some friends of mine , who tell me that when we are paddling and camping. :roll: :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
JayM

Post by JayM »

Chuck,

Yeah, I've lived here all of my life and know there are lots of good places to go. I've been paddling with my brother-in-law, mostly in the Fernandina area, and decided that I needed a boat of my own. And with the choice of a plastic boat or a wooden boat I built myself, it was an easy choice. I've been reading the forum for months and looking at Matt's design and have been very impressed with all of them. The real problem is deciding which one to do next. ( I know, I'm not even done with this one yet :lol: ) A co-worker has been bugging me about going kayak fishing with him and has promised to take me to some great spots, so it will probably be a sit-on-top with room for some gear.

I've also spent a good bit of time reading your site too. Lots of great info there as well. Maybe I'll see you on the water somewhere soon!

Jay