Swamp girl as a covered canoe?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
lilmoe
Type of boat I like: buccaneer

Swamp girl as a covered canoe?

Post by lilmoe »

Been looking at the swampgirl 14-maybe shrunk a bit to 13'- as a covered canoe for the better half. The question is-would this be a good choice for a covered deck conversion. We currently have 2 UJ's and the free laker. The laker is much less affected by winds and waves, realizing that it has a vee bottom. My wife likes the initial stability of the flat bottom UJ's and hates getting in and out of the laker. I like the entry and exits of the swampgirl bottom, and think it may be a good candidate for this covered deck design. I need input from some other sources. Thanks
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Swamp girl as a covered canoe?

Post by jem »

It would do ok. Any idea how you're envisioning the cover/deck being achieved?
-Matt. Designer.
lilmoe

Post by lilmoe »

My current thinking is to make a 3 piece deck, something like the rear deck on the laker, or similar to Tx River Rat's decks on his cruiser. I am thinking a longer rectangular cockpit, basically from thwart to thwart. I obviously haven't bought your plan yet, so I'm not sure on this. I'm thinking a slight rise in the center (lengthwise) for improved looks and to shed water. A narrow edge on the sides of the cockpit, with a coaming all around. Any thoughts/ suggestions will be entertained, so jump in. Thanks
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It could work but when you're talking about altering the mid ship height, that could be tough to do by eye.
-Matt. Designer.
lilmoe

Post by lilmoe »

Not thinking of changing the side of the hull- putting the rise only on the deck. Hope that makes more sense.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

oh. Certainly possible. Similar question asked here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3180&p=19916#p19916
-Matt. Designer.