Fiberglass splicing versus scarfing

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
CGRLCDR

Fiberglass splicing versus scarfing

Post by CGRLCDR »

How does your method of fiberglass spicing panels compare in strength to scarfing? Also, does fiberglass splicing leave unslightly bulges in the panel that will be noticeable when the boat is finished?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Fiberglass splicing versus scarfing

Post by jem »

CGRLCDR wrote:How does your method of fiberglass spicing panels compare in strength to scarfing? Also, does fiberglass splicing leave unslightly bulges in the panel that will be noticeable when the boat is finished?
From a strength stand point, a very well done (with a long, gentle taper) scarf joint might be a bit stronger. They are difficult, at least for me, to do properly.

With the fiberglass leaving a bulge, if you were going for an absolute mirror finish and inspected at very close distances, you'll see a slight bulg. But you'll probably also see other imperfections as well.

If you do a good job feathering the edge of the fiberglass, it will be hard to pick out.
-Matt. Designer.
banoe

Post by banoe »

I tapered the edges of the plywood with a sander prior to butt splicing to help hide the bulge. I don't think i lost a lot in strength what with the tapered part of the ply under glass. The glass butt joints are plenty strong but if you haven't done it before it takes a little faith to try it the first time.
cgrlcdr

Post by cgrlcdr »

Thanks for getting back to. Just a couple of more questions....

How is the flex on panels that have been joined with fiberglass splices and also is there any problems with cutting through a splice with a saber or circular saw?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Where you join the panels together will be a little stiffer. This is taken into account at the design stage.
-Matt. Designer.