Stitch and Glue, and Strongbacks

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
pogue3one
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Stitch and Glue, and Strongbacks

Post by pogue3one »

When I built my wadefish, I experienced a lot of warping of the ply where the wood sat on the sawhorses. Can the frames be mounted on a strongback to avoid this?
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: Stitch and Glue, and Strongbacks

Post by PiratePete »

I noticed this as well I did the gluing in sections so I could avoid the problem.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

They can. I'll to send a couple reference points on the frames. Which model?
-Matt. Designer.
pogue3one
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by pogue3one »

I haven't quite decided the model. I just moved to N.E. Pennsyvania, and while I love the Wadefish, I'm not sure it's right for the Susquehanna River.

I only know that:

a. I'm getting the itch to build a kayak
b. I have a basement that's big enough
c. The winter is long, and I'll be inside anyway
d. The fishing is supposed to be great here
e. I have no excuse not to

I also have noticed a ton of ducks and geese on the river, so I am toying with the idea of building a sneakbox/kayak (wish list dec 2007: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2161) hybrid for next hunting season. Something like this:

While kayak fishing isn't as popular here as it is on the gulf coast, those that do also do what they call "blast and cast". that just sounds fun to me.

It is much more difficult to find the marine grade ply here than it was in Houston. There I drove to the store, picked it out, they delivered for free. Here, I can buy a table saw for what delivery would cost. I am therefore leaning toward stitch and glue, for the lower cost. So I have been messing with a certain kayak design software, and came up with a design I want to try, but I'm not sure if I want to wait until summer for that one. I want to make sure I have one that's good for fishing when the warm weather rolls back around.
Wadefish (complete)
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

My personal opinion is to build the TV 15-29, the absolute best all around build. Easy to handle, manuverable, quick, stable, and just a great all around boat.