Resin crystalising...

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Resin crystalising...

Post by Tor »

After a winter of heating and cooling of the epoxy I have noticed that it is beginning to crystallise at the moment I can still stand it in a warm spot and lower it's viscosity but I don't think I can use all the resin before it becomes useless.

I have another lot that's done the same thing but has gone way past being revived.

Does anyone know what solvent/liquid component is used in the resin?

It's not been contaminated by hardener but I haven't been closing the pumps between uses (which I probably should do...)

Cheers.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Resin crystalising...

Post by jem »

Usually warming it does the trick. I would contact the manufacturer to find out what's going on.
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Tor is it just one part or both?

If it is part B (commonly referred to as the hardener) then it could be because of evaporation. Some of the amine molecules are small enough to evaporate (the amine odour is because some of the amine molecules reach your nose).
There should not be any solvent used in the resin or hardener if you are using a quality brand and adding anything to lower the viscosity will affect strength significantly.

I am using FGI's R180 resin and the part A stays OK but the part B dries up around the screw cap where drips are left after pouring, leaving a crusty crystal like residue. Best thing is to keep putting the lid back on between mixes.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

The people I bought my epoxy from said to set the jug in a pan of 120deg. water to bring it back. They talked like it had an indefinite shelf life.

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

What brand..................... :? If Mods says its OK. I use West with no problems so far.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Bemm 52 wrote:What brand.
Bote Cote it appears that a bit of heat will bring it back but that's going to be a pain.. :cry:
OnkaBob wrote:There should not be any solvent used in the resin or hardener
I use the term solvent in the technical sense as one component in the resin Part A is solid at room temperature, there must be a liquid component to it and it's probably active. The solution must be close to saturation and this is why it's beginning to crystalise (also why it goes back into solution on heating).

I think I'll have to get myself organised one weekend to use it all up after warming.

Thanks chaps
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Its been below freezing here so I brought mine in and store it in a closet in the heated house. I usually end up doing that every winter.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.