Recommendations for multi-hull canoe

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
muzzer
Type of boat I like: sasquatch

Recommendations for multi-hull canoe

Post by muzzer »

Hi all,
I know next to nothing about canoes (or at least I knew nothing two days ago), but after some serious reading on the Internet I've quickly developed a new obsession - I want to build a multi-hull canoe with family camping trips in mind - and I would appreciate some recommendations from the residents canoe gurus :)

I previously owned a Hobie beach catamaran (and have many years experience on the water and around boats, so am not entering this project blind :wink: ) and would like to combine the Hobie idea with the touring canoe, probably using two beams to connect two identical touring canoes, with a "trampoline" center. Also have in mind to add a small mast and sail sometime down the line, nothing too big or fast, just something simple for some added push.

This vessel is intended for sea-use, not lake. I live in the Marlborough Sounds (New Zealand) and the aim is to explore the hundreds of bays in more detail, with my family (two adults, two kids (10 and 7), so I'm talking a combined weight of perhaps 200-230kg ( 440-500lb), plus camping gear.

The obvious issues which come to mind (for a no-canoe-experience man) are:
* Steering - probably going to need a rudder/tiller as I guess a multi hull will resist turning and maneuvering like a canoe?
* It would be a family boat, but could a ruddered multi-hull be used single-handed?
* Hull shape - single-hull stability would not be an issue as the multi-hull design should overcome any stability issues. So not having to worry about stability I'm thinking it may be advantageous to use a faster/less stable hull design than "standard" hulls? Is there such a thing and would it be worthwhile?
* I have two you children so want to make this thing "unsinkable" (yeah, not like the Titanic). How much water can canoes take on before going under? I was thinking of waterproof storage compartments fore and aft for buoyancy should the craft get swamped - is this a feasible method of adding enough buoyancy to make it "unsinkable"?
* Windage on the two hulls - am I likely to require a small keel or centerboard to prevent being pushed sideways or is this generally not an issue with canoes? Also, with a small sail up this may also be an issue?
* Would a keel or centerboard help steering a multihull, or would this not be necessary. It would be nice to avoid need a keel or centerboard, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
* Multi-hulls canoes have obviously been done before - does anyone have personal experience with one and if so pro/cons?

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer - getting the design idea right is probably going to be a major factor in whether this craft ever gets used more than once! I don't want to build a dog!
Cheers, Murray
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Recommendations for multi-hull canoe

Post by jem »

Awesome. Top advice: pick a simple hull, and build it first. It will give you a taste for the process, and you're 2nd boat will be 30-50% better quality than your first.

Catamaran:

Check out this page: http://www.krugercanoes.com/prod01.htm About half way down the page, there are 2 boats with a yellow sail. Click that picture. See the catamaran pole connecting the 2 hulls? Notice there's only one in the front.

That's from Kruger Canoes. Verlen Kruger is probably one of the greatest paddlers of all time and has so much experience and practical knowledge, I can't even begin to try and speak it all. He found that 2 poles... catamaran style was actually dangerous because having one pole allow the hull to handle choppy seas and twist with the waves. But there's no trampoline center. So take that into consideration.

Single handing multi hull:

Sailing, perhaps. Paddling? I'd think that would be asking too much.

Hull Shape and Flotation

Sasquatch is the hull style you want. Maybe even my North Wind or South Wind. You could add sealed flotation/chambers. float bags are also an easy option.

windage

Without a sail, a decked canoe (North Wind or South Wind) would have no trouble. With a sail? I can't say for sure.

Keel/Centerboard for steering

Steering? Isn't that what the rudder would be for? A keel or centerboard typically is for resisting lateral movement.

Strongly consider building something simple first.
-Matt. Designer.
muzzer
Type of boat I like: sasquatch

Re: Recommendations for multi-hull canoe

Post by muzzer »

Thanks for the advice jem

I understand what you are saying about allowing the hulls to twist independently. Hobie catamarans do have a small amount of flex but not to the extent you are talking about, and I'm familiar with those boats and happy with how they handle in choppy seas. However, I agree that allowing the hulls to move independently is a great idea, and would add to both comfort and safety. Perhaps a fairly rigid beam at the front and a solid same-length at the stern but with a coupling which allows it to flex up and and down to allow one stern to enter a trough while the other is on a crest. The fact that the trampoline would flex along with the semi-independent hulls shuld not be an issue. This needs more thought but I'm excited about the possibilities here....

Re the centerboard and steering; I was thinking a centerboard may help to pivot the craft, perhaps not. Again more reading and though needed here.

Another option is to build opposing asymmetrical hulls which help resist lateral movement (again like the hobie cats), but I would prefer symmetrically hulls so the craft can be broken apart and used as two single canoes.

I think I'll go ahead and build a single canoe as you suggest and then look at building a second and adapting it as a multihull. I really like the look of the Sasquatch and posts on the forum seem to suggest it's a pretty exceptional design.

Thanks v.much for your input and if you have any other thoughts I would love to hear them.