Saturation Coat

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Saturation Coat

Post by rodot »

I have just ordered the North Wind plans from Matt and am getting my head around a few things while I wait for the postman.
I was wondering if it would be an advantage to apply a saturation coat of epoxy to the plywood panels as soon as I cut them out. I recon that it would make them a bit tougher and help protect the surface during the building process. It would also make cleaning up any epoxy mess a bit easier.
Interested to know if anyone can see any dramas in that.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Saturation Coat

Post by hairymick »

Mate, I think it is probably a good idea. The only problem I can see is with the twist in the bottom panels.

Pre-coating will make them tougher to twist into shape.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I am also building a s@G North wind.
What type of ply are you going to use?
With the number of panels in this build I think you could precoat with out a problem .
Ron
rodot

Post by rodot »

Thanks Guys. At the moment I am thinking of either Gaboon(Okoume) or Hoop Pine depending on cost and quality. I am concidering 1/8 inch ply. I know it will be more difficult but I dont mind a bit of a challenge. Perhaps a strongback like Mick's Southwind build would be the go.
Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I would hesitant about using 1/8 ply with as much open space as you will have in that cockpit. I built one from 1/8 ply .
Never again.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You could put a coat on but it's not necessary. Be mindful of amine blush issues if the boat sits for a while without being worked on.
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

[quote][/ Be mindful of amine blush issues if the boat sits for a while without being worked on.

quote]

I dont think that would be any greater issue then that area where the scarf joins are epoxied and left to wait. The epoxy I use is suppossed to be immune to amine blush. But i believe that amine blush can be cleaned off anyway. I am certainly not an expert on epoxy though.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Oh yea.... the amine blush waxy film definitely can be cleaned off and it's not hard to spot.

I've done some epoxy work, left the hull sit half finished for a while and had to do sanding to take care of some blush that formed once I started working on it again.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

tx river rat wrote:I would hesitant about using 1/8 ply with as much open space as you will have in that cockpit. I built one from 1/8 ply .
Never again.
Ron
I built the Freedom ( decked over ) , several pirogues and canoes ( all open ) using 1/8th inch wood and have never had a problem with them.
The pirogues did have ( 3 ) ribs in them along with three ( 1/4 by 1 1/4 inch ) stringers running the length of the boat to stop any oil canning. They came out at 15 1/2 feet and 32 pounds , the seat weighs 2 pounds. The 14 x 30 Sasquatch weighs 30 pounds ( total weight )
All the boats were glassed inside and outside.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

What Chuck doesnt tell you is that he has been building boats for 50 years so is a master at it.
I am going to rephrase my statement. If you plan to use it in rocks are current I would advise against 1/8 ,
!/8 inch wood boats have a hard time where I paddle.
Ron