Rudder v Retractable Skeg

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Rudder v Retractable Skeg

Post by rodot »

Thinking ahead about the construction of the Northwind. I was wondering about the feasability of fitting a retractable skeg instead of a rudder. I have had no experience with a skeg, but was thinking of several advantages. It would be less complicated, cheaper, lighter and it would allow me to alter my seating position to balance the boat according to the load being carried.
If anyone has any advice or opinions I really would appreciate it.

Thanks Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Oldtimer
Type of boat I like: Okwata

Re: Rudder v Retractable Skeg

Post by Oldtimer »

G'day Roger,

The purpose of a skeg is:
A) to make your boat track like on rails
B) to prevent weathercocking

A retractable skeg gives you the chance to do this gradually

You only need a rudder at a long slender boat with a stark V-bottom, which does not want to turn, even not when leaned.

Warning:
The skegcase and the surrounding bottom of the hull must be stronger than the skeg. By sideways forces the skeg must brake off to keep the bottom undamaged.
So, use double ply or extra glas cloth

Regards,

Koos
rodot

Post by rodot »

Thanks Koos

What I am looking for, is a way of assisting in keeping a straight course and to help prevent weathercocking and broaching. In particular as it appears that this craft may be best paddled with a single blade paddle. I was wondering whether a rudder might be best by allowing me to trim the boat, or whether a retractable skeg would do the job adequately. My current leaning is towards the simplicity of the skeg.

Thanks Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

There are 2 Northwinds being built here right now , Mine and Darrels. Mine want have a rudder until I see how it paddles. Rudders and skags keep me out of the water I need and want to paddle. Darrel is going to try a rudder on his so we will have a good comparison shortly.
A 17 ft 2 inch long boat should track well with a yak paddle now I dont know about a single blade .
Ron
PS read Hairy post about the southwind and the need for a rudder.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Yeah Mate, I've been following Darrell's build with great interest. It looks great and I'm sure looking forward to the report on the sea trials. I've read Mick's Southwind build and its been a great help. I think the Northwind may have a tad more rocker. Not sure.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico