Sasqautch 16-33

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
DanT
Type of boat I like: canoes and kayaks.

Sasqautch 16-33

Post by DanT »

I have all my pieces cut. So far so good. I am going to try to get all parts butt epoxied together this weekend but with prior family commitments I probably won't get everything done I want to.
I do have a question on the spacing of the strong back. Do I get the spacing from the frame marking diagrams included in the plans? I wasn't sure if the strong back spacing would be the same because the diagram shows frame placement when pieces are flat.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Sasqautch 16-33

Post by jem »

As you stitch the panels together, the frames/stations will align themselves. The frames/stations are not mounted on a flat surface before stitching.
-Matt. Designer.

Post by Guest »

I'm glad I asked. I was looking at Hairie's Sasquatch build and assumed he had the frames mounted to the table but I guess those are just 2x4 bases he has mounted to the frames. One other question though. The 4" 6oz. tape on the bill of materials I assume is used for double reinforcement on the keel? Is one length to be applied to the outside bottom seam and a second piece to be applied to the inside bottom seam?
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G,day Dan, and congratulations on choosing what I think is the best canoe in Matt's stable of very fine canoe designs.

I don't have the Sas plans with me just now but from memory, if you look at the drawings containing the temp frame placements for the bottom panels (along the centre seam). I think the measurements are from the ends of the panels.

To successfully transpose these measurements to the placement of the temp frames on my strong back I needed to find the measurements to those temp frame panels from the centre of the boat.

If you go the the page that contains the QA checks for the bottom panels, it will give you the total length of the two bottom panels when panel spliced together. Divide this measurement by 2 and that will give you the centre of the boat. find the centre of your strongback (lengthwise) and this will become the centre of your boat.

Go to the frame ref page of your drawings and subtrace the measurements given from the 1/2 total length of your bottom panels that you found previously. These measurements will then become the placements measured from the centre of your strongback.

The 2X4 bases you mention are screwed in place onto the top of my workbench on the measurements I found as mentioned above. The temp frames are then screwed to them.

Please re-read this post.
G'day Zeb,

No need for the sicky mate. I am on a couple of days off at the moment.

Been down the shed most of the day, another scorcher. Was too hot to even drink beer. Went through 5 litres of water and am still dehydrated.

We are in the middle of the best seasonal wet season we have had in decades. Heavy monsoonal rain allmost every day for the past month with scattered very heavy thunder storms inbetween. Just had one that lasted about an hour and dropped over two inches into my rain gauge.

With all the heat and humidity, it seems my boat bench has "bent" a little,

My centre string line is not in the centre of the bench and is about 3/4" out about half way along its length. I only picked this up when I shot the keel line string. I checked every thing and the bench is still level through out its length so it is not a big problem.

Matt's temp frames drawings for this boat come with the measurements of a top piece for a strongback build I originally had some doubts about them but they are absolutely correct.. (sorry Matt)

This made it easy to set the height of the centre temp frame, simply sit it onto the bench in place and screw it to an allready positioned cross piece.

The apex of the keel on this frame then sets the height for all other frames. - easy.

The height of the keel on the centre panel is then used to set the height of a temp post at either end of the strong back.

Run the string line and ensure that it is at the same height at each end, above the bench as the mid temp frame apex.

Then mount all the other temp frames so that the apex of each one is directly benieth the string and at the correct distance from it.

All this took about 2 hours to do this morning and I think is well worth the effort on a boat such as this. Time and effort saved in stitching will be much more than that.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Guest wrote:I'm glad I asked. I was looking at Hairie's Sasquatch build and assumed he had the frames mounted to the table but I guess those are just 2x4 bases he has mounted to the frames. One other question though. The 4" 6oz. tape on the bill of materials I assume is used for double reinforcement on the keel? Is one length to be applied to the outside bottom seam and a second piece to be applied to the inside bottom seam?
yep, yep!
-Matt. Designer.