Is foundry graphite ok?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
lncc63
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Is foundry graphite ok?

Post by lncc63 »

Thanks guys for the advice on the PU thread about the graphite. I was looking through a foundry supply catalog a few days ago and saw they sold graphite powder. Can I use this?
Louis
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Louis,

If it is pure graphite powder, I don't know why not. Some agricultural supply houses sell it too. Farmers mix it in with seeds so they feed easier from hoppers into the drills to be seeded into fields.

The graphite powder you want is the same stuff you would get if you sat down with a few hundred wooden pencils and a jack knife.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The purity is what you have to worry about. I'd think it should be ok.
-Matt. Designer.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

I actually did that thing with the pencil but used the graphite as dry lubricant ... can't remember what it was. Something to do while waiting for a fish to bite.

Seriously, in what concentration would you guys recommend it be added to the epoxy?
Louis
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

RAKA suggests about 20%of graphite added to epoxy by volume. Epoxyfied-graphite is much harder - and slicker - than straight epoxy.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

About 20% by volume.

Best way to describe it is thick enough where it's not real runny but does not act like filleting material.

About like thick pancake mix.
-Matt. Designer.