Help with an article

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Help with an article

Post by jem »

I got asked to write an article about some of the challenges and success of JEM Watercraft.

Well you know what? You all are the ones that make this website a success so how about helping out with the article?

Give some input on one or both of the following:

New Builders - What's the biggest challenge you faced building? What are you most proud of?

Builders who have built more than one: Same thing but from an experienced builder perspective: Challenge and success?

Let me know if it's ok to quote you in the article.

And then I'll put some thoughts in from a designer perspective. Fire away! :D
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Help with an article

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote: New Builders - What's the biggest challenge you faced building? What are you most proud of?

Builders who have built more than one: Same thing but from an experienced builder perspective: Challenge and success? [/b]
1. The biggest challenge in building a boat is the decision to actually do it , making the choice on which one and then making the commitment to make the boat. After that sole searching and decision is completed.
The best aid in both of those decisions is group support or support from the designer which you offer both choices for the new person. It is beneficial to the new builder to have that information at his or her disposal. Ask a question and have a answer , or several answers from folks who have built the boat.
I believe the word or words are .... Customer Support. An area Jem Watrercraft excels in.

I would say the most pride is watching it come together and materalise before your eyes then when the boat is completed a person has the ability of paddling it. With that comes the questions from the onlookers who always ask...... Where did you get that boat and the person replies .... I made it. It builds confidence and pride in what you have done along with the fun of having something you created.

2. ( Challenges ) I do not follow the normal path after making a boat , I want to see how light I can make the next one and still have it sea worthy. That is my personal challenge and when I can paddle it that is some sweet success for me. It is fun making it lighter and for a lot less cost then a manufactured one ( normally 2/3rds less or more ) plus mine is custom made for me by me. You might say it is one of a kind.

One additional benefit of building a boat is the anticipation of the build and how you are going to use it. It also is a stress breaker in today's worries , thinking of the building steps and then the final use of it really relaxes a person and gives the mind something pleasant to think about. To put it bluntly... It is good medicine for removing stress.

Use any part or all of what I posted in your article.......If you want to. :D

Chuck...........
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

^
What he said |

I think Chuck did a great job summarizing how I feel as well.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I looked around for several year at wooden boats and there plans . I settled on the Jems plans for several reason , looks ,customer service, this includes a great website with a lot of tutorials and a forum that is active for help with any problem you encounter, Price is extremely reasonable and Matt ( Jem) will help you any way he can. The plans are well laid out ,in fact the best set of plans I have seen , they include several ways to check your self something I haven't seen in other plans.
Building wood boats is very habit forming and in the last few years I have built over a dozen, :shock: Three of these were designs that were custom for me and the location I paddle , Matt worked with me and got me just what I wanted .I think this is a major + of dealing with Jem , I know of no other designer that will gladly do this.
Jems is just a class act to deal with and great experience dealing with them ,price is right, excellent quality on products, and great customer service.
You cant ask for anything else.
Ron
Edit ,and use any or all of this Matt, and thanks again for a great service
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

have to agree with Chuck.1. the hard part deciding on a plan,2. the good part having good advise at your fingertips,3. and the great part,seeing a 2 dimentional pile of wood morph into a 3 dimentional object. And then the ongoing question, where did you get that ?
The cost,weight saving and addiction are hard to beat !!

MM
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

All of the above..............but also for flat plate construction stitch and glue.........Matts boats look so bloody pretty. :D
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

When I decided to build my own kayak I trawled around the web looking for a suitable source of plans. I’m glad I stumbled across the JEM Watercraft site.
I was immediately impressed by most of Matt’s designs. Practicality and functionality combined with very pretty lines. There seemed to be something for everyone.
I browsed the forum and realized there was a very accessible and helpful community of builders there who were more than willing to assist and encourage a new builder.

My first build was a sharp learning curve but with Matt’s great customer service, help from the forum and the clear, easy to follow plans and instructions, I got the job done and enjoyed every minute of it.
For me the biggest challenge was working with material and techniques I was unfamiliar with. A few mistakes were made but the confidence gained each time a lesson was learnt was a reward in itself.
There’s little to compare with the personal satisfaction one feels from seeing your kayak or canoe taking shape.

I’m on my fourth build now and still enjoying the process. I’m still enjoying the forum community at JEM and feel like I’ve made some good friends.
Apart from the pleasures of building and paddling my own craft, I’ve found another and unexpected enjoyment. Building kayaks for friends and family. Which is just as well because you can only have so many kayaks or canoes in your backyard!

Matt, your welcome to use any of the above if you wish.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"