Cutting Deck Hatches

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cutting Deck Hatches

Post by Tor »

This post I came across when looking for information for fitting hatches. It's a great build.

viewtopic.php?t=2549

After a slightly wet experience on open water :oops: I realised i needed to seal the area under the decks on the Southwind, but that's another story.

As not to completly lose the space under the decks I need to fit hatches and I'm not looking forward to it, if I mess it up it'll stay messed up :cry: . This post has some great step by step pictures (for all parts of the build) and although Bruce is quite modest I'd like to build half this well...

I note that in this hatch build there doesn't seem to be any seal/gasket material, I can't imagine for a moment that I'll be able to reach such a standard where the hatch wouldn't leak without a rubber seal however I will be trying to do this as it's a great looking finish with the hatches flush to the deck.

Any advice?
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Cutting Deck Hatches

Post by OnkaBob »

G'day Tor,

I did a flush hatch on the rear deck of my Laker and used a rubber seal. The hatch is held on by concealed bungees and so far has worked well

The pics below tell most of the story but a few words of explanation are warranted for a couple of items.
First is the type of rubber for the seal needs to be very soft as the hatch is being pushed down over a relatively large area and it needs to distort the rubber to effect a seal. I tried harder ones but they would not seal - although they might work if the woodwork is absolutely perfect.

Second is that to help the seal I created a thin ridge on the underside of the hatch by epoxying a thin nylon cord (similar to brickies line) in a line just in from the edge all the way around. This was given several coats of epoxy to completely saturate and then build it up a bit. It seems to do what was intended as it leaves a ridge in the rubber.

Lastly in order to make the hatch truly flush there must be a positive stop for it to rest on. The top of this stop must be level with the underside of the surrounding deck with the rubber seal sitting slightly proud of it. The idea is that the hatch compresses the rubber until the stop is reached. You can see how mine is arranged in at least one of the pics but it is not overly clear. To make room for the seal and stop you need to insert a spacer of the same thickness as the stop material between the deck and the supporting frame that the seal and stop sit on.

The words above may be somewhat confusing - this is definitely where a picture helps. Anyway have a look below and see what you think. If more explanation is needed I will do a cross section diagram of the system.

Hope it all goes well.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Just had another thought (... dangerous I know :D ).

The Southwind is fairly open so putting a hatch in the bulkhead may be a better option than cutting into the deck. In fact this is definitely what I would do. I put a hatch into the front bulkhead of my Laker and it works although with the benefit of experience I would do a much better job on a second one.

With the Laker it is a bit hard to reach because it has to be so far forward under the deck to give enough leg room. I imagine the Southwind could have the bulkead close to the front of the deck opening where it would be easy to reach.

There is a bit of detail on this in the Laker build log but don't copy what I did - the 1/8th turn locking mechanism has its problems.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Thanks Bob,

Yes Frames 2 and 5 are just inside the deck line so it would be a good place for hatches and I have done this in the front. I'll post pictures of what I've done later but it stops me from putting a hatch on the inside on the back, there's a heap of room in the back and I don't want to lose it.

The concealed bungee's are also good and I might consider this although the above deck straps allows me to strap a trolley on.

Choices, choices...

Tor