3m fiberglass resin

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jaa22
Type of boat I like: Laker14

3m fiberglass resin

Post by jaa22 »

Just starting my laker 14 and went to purchase supplies today. I came across some 3M brand fiberglass resin with hardener at Lowes. Can this be used to make the filets and for the fiberglassing? Is it different than epoxy resin?
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: 3m fiberglass resin

Post by OnkaBob »

Sounds like it is polyester resin - if it doesn't say epoxy on the container then it is almost definitely polyester. People have built boats with it - tx river rat is one I think - but I don't know of anyone who has tried epoxy and then gone back to polyester. It doesn't stick as well, it contains stinky solvents and it is not much cheaper these days.

Enjoy the Laker build.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Poly doesn't bond as well as epoxy.

If you're buying it from Lowes, calculate the cost per ounce and then do the same for epoxy if you order it through one of our recommended vendors: http://www.jemwatercraft.com/materials.php

Price might not be that far off.
-Matt. Designer.
jaa22

Post by jaa22 »

Okay you sold me....I am going with epoxy. Don't want to take any shortcuts, especially with my first build.

Next question....I purchased 4 x 8 panels, but when I used my drywall square to start drawing reference lines, I ended up just shy of 12 inches from the last reference line and the end. Does this matter (the plans indicate that the size is very important).

Thanks!
Jim
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I have built several boats with poly , and for just one reason it was about a 1/3 the price of epoxy and I had a lot of experience working it.
Now epoxy is just as cheap or maybe with what you use in volume cheaper.
Ron
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

jaa22 wrote:Okay you sold me....I am going with epoxy. Don't want to take any shortcuts, especially with my first build.

Next question....I purchased 4 x 8 panels, but when I used my drywall square to start drawing reference lines, I ended up just shy of 12 inches from the last reference line and the end. Does this matter (the plans indicate that the size is very important).

Thanks!
Jim
How shy is "just" shy?
-Matt. Designer.
jaa22

Post by jaa22 »

jem wrote:
jaa22 wrote:Okay you sold me....I am going with epoxy. Don't want to take any shortcuts, especially with my first build.

Thanks!
Jim
How shy is "just" shy?

2-2.5mm off....
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Just add that much to any dimension referenced from the "shy" side of the panel. I avoid nesting panels against the edges for that very reason.
-Matt. Designer.
jaa22

Post by jaa22 »

jem wrote:Just add that much to any dimension referenced from the "shy" side of the panel. I avoid nesting panels against the edges for that very reason.

Don't want to sound ignorant, but what do you mean "add that much to any dimension referenced from..."?
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Whoops. Meant to say "deduct" that amount.

Look on Panel 1.1. The top 2 dimensions off the right side of the panel are 2.5 and 2.6. Make them 2.3 and 2.4.

Make sense?
-Matt. Designer.