Footpegs/rudder

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jaa22
Type of boat I like: Laker14

Footpegs/rudder

Post by jaa22 »

Building the laker 14 and just curious....do I have to decide about the footpegs (whether I want them or not) before I complete, or can I add them after the fact? Should I just go ahead and do the reinforcing where the footpegs would go?

Also, I am considering a rudder. Should I go ahead and do the end pours as per the plans even if I am not sure if I will use a rudder or not?
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Footpegs/rudder

Post by OnkaBob »

The Lakers have a fairly open cockpit so it is easy enough to add footpegs later. Also it is a good idea to get the seat set up and try it out first so you have a good idea where to locate them. If you have pegs with a big adjustment range longitudinal location is not so important but height can be.

My Laker 13 tracks and steers well and does not need a rudder and I suspect the 14 would be similar - should be some comments along from builders soon :) . Even without a rudder a small end pour is a good idea if you want to put carry ropes through the ends.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'd plan for a rudder. It won't hurt anything having that extra reinforcement.

Installing footbraces is a little easier to do with the deck off. But it can be done after the deck is installed with minimal extra effort.
-Matt. Designer.
jaa22
Type of boat I like: Laker14

Post by jaa22 »

Thanks guys......hopefully will start posting pics of my progress soon.