Painting - tips please

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Painting - tips please

Post by goanywhere »

I am intending to build a couple of outriggers as my next little learning project. I would like to paint them so that I can use them on either my current yak or my new build.

Any tips to keep in mind for painting? Should I paint before or after glassing? Someone told me that painting before glassing will ensure a higher lustre and proessional finish. I also think it might mean repairing scratches or chips will be easier.

I intend to use 2 pak paint.

Your thoughts?
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
lilmoe
Type of boat I like: buccaneer

Re: Painting - tips please

Post by lilmoe »

If I were into the paint thing, I would do it after glassing, so the fiberglas and epoxy had full grip to the wood. I think this is important to the strenght of the design. paint isn't that hard to touch up, when the need arrizes, and it will if you make good use of the boat. The fiberglas is critical to the strenght--the paint is for looks. Just my thoughts
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

I agree with Lilmoe but there is a more important point: Epoxy can't be left as the top coat because it breaks down under UV exposure (ie in the sun) so you would need to clear coat over it anyway. Two pack will give a durable finish on top but it is a waste underneath.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Mmm. I would have thought that a 2 pack epoxy paint with a good undercoat would adhere to the ply very well. The glass would still give the strength, and it should adhere very well to an epoxy paint surface that is lightly sanded.
I have my nephew visiting today, I'll ask him what he thinks, he's a crash repairer and works with 2 pack paints all the time.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

epoxy and glass first then paint.
If the paint was that good you wouldnt need the epoxy and glass
You have to remember that the epoxy and glass is structural the paint even 2 part isnt
Ron
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

OnkaBob wrote:I agree with Lilmoe but there is a more important point: Epoxy can't be left as the top coat because it breaks down under UV exposure (ie in the sun) so you would need to clear coat over it anyway. Two pack will give a durable finish on top but it is a waste underneath.
Yes that makes sense. I don't want to have to varnish over the epoxy as well as paint. That's overkill. And your point is well made too tx river rat.

Thanks.