staining/painting tips

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
ChrisTX
Type of boat I like: canoes sailboats

staining/painting tips

Post by ChrisTX »

I am a first time building, working on a Touring Pirogue.

The boat is "assembled" minus glassing and gunwales/thwarts. I'm thinking about wood stain, as I like the natural look of the wood I'm using.

How do I achieve the best results? I'm guessing that staining won't work after glassing. After I glass, I'm guessing that paint is the only option.

Is this correct?

Where I've joined my panels with fiberglass, it does not appear that I can get the look that I want...so it really may be too late for anything BUT paint at this point.

Just looking for pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: staining/painting tips

Post by Oldsparkey »

ChrisTX wrote:I am a first time building, working on a Touring Pirogue.

The boat is "assembled" minus glassing and gunwales/thwarts. I'm thinking about wood stain, as I like the natural look of the wood I'm using.

How do I achieve the best results? I'm guessing that staining won't work after glassing. After I glass, I'm guessing that paint is the only option.

Is this correct?

Where I've joined my panels with fiberglass, it does not appear that I can get the look that I want...so it really may be too late for anything BUT paint at this point.

Just looking for pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Staining will not work over the glass unless you add some pigment ( made to add to epoxy ) in the epoxy and that is the same as painting.
Don't use a oil based stain on the boat , if you do , the epoxy will not stick to it ... Use only a water based stain if you must stain it.
About the closest you are going to get to staining since you already glassed the seams is to epoxy saturate the rest of the boat and let that be the stain for a uniform look , then glass it.
If everything fails there is always ...PAINT. :x

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler