Sandpaper

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jaa22
Type of boat I like: Laker14

Sandpaper

Post by jaa22 »

finally got my floor and sides spliced together last night. First time working with epoxy and WOW that stuff is strong. Going to hopefully fiberglass splint them tonight. Quick question.....what is the best grit sandpaper for get the excess epoxy off and what is the best grit to do finish work (for later)? Also, I have a palm sander...will this work or should i invest in a orbital sander?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Sandpaper

Post by jem »

I like orbital sanders but a palm sander can get the job done. Like any tool, you have to use it properly for it to be effective.

The time to clean up epoxy drips is when the epoxy is still wet. Not always feasible. I like work with a Sure Form too, small hand plane, or scraper to clean up drips.

I then use 80 grit with light pressure to do initial leveling of epoxt surfaces... if it needs it. I wouldn't go higher than 150 because for paint or vanish or more epoxy (like for gluing gunwales) the surface needs some roughness to it for the best adhesion.
-Matt. Designer.
jaa22

Post by jaa22 »

Perfect....thanks as always Matt....

One more question (sorry I have so many:-() when you mention using glue (for the coaming, deck, ect.) is that just regular wood flue/gorilla glue or fileting material you are referring to?

Thanks again!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Epoxy thickened with filler (woodflour, cabosil, etc,). Not as thick as filleting material. You want it runny enough so it fills in and contacts all the surface pores. But thick enough to hold in place while curing.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Matt, what is a 'Sure Form'? Is it a multi-tooth rasp/plane? I have just bought a 'Surshape' multi tooth plane, which is a great tool for planing, particularly plywood.

This building kayaks business has given me an excuse to spend money on all sorts of toys I haven't had before! :lol:
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.
jaa22

Post by jaa22 »

goanywhere wrote:Matt, what is a 'Sure Form'? Is it a multi-tooth rasp/plane? I have just bought a 'Surshape' multi tooth plane, which is a great tool for planing, particularly plywood.

This building kayaks business has given me an excuse to spend money on all sorts of toys I haven't had before! :lol:
I agree....the new toys are almost as good as the boat building 8)
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Yep, that's the one Matt, just different brand.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!