question on Epoxy

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
fransjoe
Type of boat I like: SOT Fishing Kayaks

question on Epoxy

Post by fransjoe »

Hello all,

I know I've been out of it for a while, but I wanted to ask a question before starting on my laker. Looking around I found some marine epoxy advertised at Lowe's, I wonder if this would work to tack weld the panels or maybe as the material to butblok the splices.

Here's the link to the product: http://www.lowes.com/pd_40308-69-140560 ... tt%3Depoxy
A rough day on the water beats any day at work
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: question on Epoxy

Post by OnkaBob »

I find looking at the MSDS is always a good place to start if you are thinking of trying a new material - especially epoxy.

This one shows that there is a huge amount of filler in both parts of this product : 10 - 30% calcium carbonate and 30 - 60 % Silica (in the form of Quartz).

The filleting mixes that we make up with wood flour as filler are good because the fillers are fibrous. It is not clear from the MSDS as to whether the silica is a fibrous form - if it is then it may be fine. If it isn't then it may be brittle and personally I wouldn't use it.

This is the address of the MSDS for this product:

http://loctiteproducts.com/msds/EPXY_MRN_S_msds.pdf

The other factor is economy - you can do everything with a good laminating epoxy by adding fillers when required and buying it in gallon lots makes it relatively cheap.
This particular one looks like it is useable only as a glue and buying it in small syringe packs must be expensive.

Having said all that if you were desparate to make a start while waiting on delivery of materials then it might well be OK for butt blocks.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: question on Epoxy

Post by jem »

That's for filling cracks and holes in an emergency. I wouldn't recommend building with it.
-Matt. Designer.