Laker or Freedom?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
MrAverage

Laker or Freedom?

Post by MrAverage »

I'd like to know which of the two kayak designs (Laker or Freedom) would be best suited for building with and use by my 12 year old son. He will be using it on a large lake that has a fair amount of power boat traffic and also possibly on some sheltered salt water harbors and bays. He's had some experience in plastic kayaks including a longer, narrower touring type which he enjoyed more than the shorter wider recreational type. He's interested in reasonable stability so that he doesn't have to constantly be concerned about keeping upright but also wants good paddling performance so that he can cover decent amounts of distance. I don't foresee him doing any fishing from the boat or overnight touring, but he probably will want to stop and look at birds and other critters he encounters. He's not going to be doing any eskimo rolls or white water...yet! For me, I want something that can be equipped with flotation so that it won't sink even if filled. BTW - he's a pretty big kid - 130 lbs or so and pretty tall for his age

So which one is best suited for this purpose?

Thanks
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Laker or Freedom?

Post by jem »

Based on what you describe, Laker sounds like it would fit him well. If you want to build something a little bigger, Laker does come in 14' and 15' versions.
-Matt. Designer.
MrAverage

Re: Laker or Freedom?

Post by MrAverage »

Thanks. I was thinking of buliding the 14 footer so that he could grow into it.

Just out of curiosity, what are the practical differences between the two designs aside from the beam?