lack of active comments

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
cridgie down under

lack of active comments

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi whats happened to "view active comments "it use to be worthwhile to just click on active comments
and get a run down on current posts ,now we are lucky if we find one item (at present none)
regards Ray.
fransjoe
Type of boat I like: SOT Fishing Kayaks

Re: lack of active comments

Post by fransjoe »

I know cridgie, I wonder if anyone's building anymore?
A rough day on the water beats any day at work
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Could it be that spring in the northern hemisphere and autumn in the southern hemisphere are quieter seasons than normal? It seems to have gone quiet in just the last few weeks.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I think that's a big part of it. Lot's of stuff going on in everyone's lives right now. I know my household is running wide open right now. :roll:
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Well I have a good excuse am going on holiday tomorrow :mrgreen:

Cheers John.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Nice to see someone's keeping the craft alive.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Hey goany, john just might be gonfission from akff :wink:
Cheers John.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Is that the "orginal" Okwata? If so, I'd love some detail on how the round-deck install went for you.
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

The boat is two inches narrower and two inches lower in the sides. Has greater rocker and vee bottom. The curve on the foredeck is steeper by one and a half inches than the plans.(does not really show in the pics but very noticeable from the side) Rear deck is similar to the plans. Hatches are considerably larger. I basically cut out bottom and side panels and frames. Stitched it all together. Marked out lines well inside the chines. Took it all apart then set about removing all the bits I didn't like/want. The frames were also cut down to match my new lines. The convex leg of the bow frame was removed. Way too excessive on my thin ply. I deliberately opened up the keel over an eight foot length and wedged open to provide more Vee. Deck supports were made to suit the new curves. Added a "swoop" in to the deck ends which did not peak as much as I had hoped but is visible from the sides nevertheless. Hence the splits either end of the deck. The rear split is opened up to receive a support for a rudder if and when.
The deck was not going to curve along its length with a couple of stiffeners. (looked like a fat lady in a gstring.) So I laced it with string every four inches and tightened them to curve the deck, then glassed them. Way over tightened and way over curved. Turned out this was not as necessary as I had thought, because of staples. :roll:
I used 5/8 quad for sheer clamps. Best thing ever! Curved well, sat perfectly and left me a good area to sit/glue the deck on. It accepted glass well over its curved edge. Also leaves a flat edge on the outside corner to work with. Only issue was filling the void where the deck curved up and away from the quad. Lots of glue to fill front deck because of more extreme curve. -Should have pasted woodflour on while glueing, didn't -. Glued the cross members and stapled the sides in one operation. Filled the void with glue/resin removed staples. The corner done this way gives me a big area to plane back to an angle back to the flat back edge of the quad moulding, and also removed the staple holes. Needs sanding to become a nice curve. When rounded off this eliminates the hard sharp corner you get with using regular ply for sheer clamps.

Cheers John.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Wow! Now that's a custom job!
-Matt. Designer.