Minimum temp for glassing?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Minimum temp for glassing?

Post by goanywhere »

As I am going to be building my Sobalo through winter, I was wondering what is the minimum temperature for glassing? I will be building it in a carport that is closed on three sides and open on one side, but I am planning on closing that side off with poly sheeting or tarps and heating the area, but I need to know how much heat I will need to get in there before I can glass the hull and inside. To make matters worse most of my build time will be in the evenings, and the average temp will be around 5-10 deg C at night.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Minimum temp for glassing?

Post by jem »

Your epoxy vendor should be able to provide that info.

But for me personally, I don't like to work with epoxy in temps below 50F (10C) even with fast setting hardener.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Thanks for that. I am using Bote Cote, and the instructions say the same, not to work with it below 10 deg C. I should be able to get a temp of around 15-18 deg while working, so I think that will be fine.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Sounds like it should work. Be careful not to try to start sanding too soon. It takes a good 1-2 hours for curing to complete after the epoxy feel dry to the touch.
-Matt. Designer.
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

I got my epoxy from US Composites, the slow hardener I got totally refused to work in temps under 85°, to make it work I'd have to heat my garage for hours and hours. I gave up on the slow stuff and got some medium hardener and all is well. Even with the temps down into the high 60's it would set up overnight. It's getting hot enough now to go back to the slow hardener.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Fortunately our winters are fairly mild and we do get some days up to 22 deg C during the day with nights around 12-15 deg, which would be suitable to work. I wouldn't try to work if temps were going to be forecast for under 5 deg as it would take too much to heat the area. Also it needs enough time to be able to cure properly, so even after application it needs to stay warm enough for long enough to cure properly.

I might look into getting a small quantity of rapid hardner just for those colder nights as a standby, but even if I had to wait a week or two for conditions to be favourable that wouldn't be too much of an issue.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

as Matt said, particularly when glassing leave it before sanding.

I try to make sure the temp won't drop below 10 for the first 24 hours after work and then I'll leave it all week before sanding (although scraping is fine) If I manage to get 3 coats of resin on in a cold week I'll leave it longer, if I can and it's a sunny day I will try to get it in the sun for a few hours too (don't leave it in the sun as once it's cured the sun then starts to break it down again).

I use bote cote and the normal hardener and never had issues even on cold Melbourne nights

One issue I have is that I have to work indoors as it's too cold outside but I'm sensitized to the resin so I have to work in short periods and let the resin cure before I can use the shed again I have to where a face mask even when doing other stuff in the shed if there's wet resin around - i have to find a heating solution and have been inspired by the outdoor heating furnaces sold in North America and Canada, not that popular in balmy Australia (can't imagine why...) so may have to do a bush version of said furnace.

anyhoo got off track, have fun with the winter builds 'cause summer if for fishing...
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Thanks Tor. I will be using Bote Cote too. I intend to use a portable gas heater in the carport if it's cold, so I should be able to keep the temp up long enough to cure. The way I'm going it might be Sept before I need to glass anyway so it might be warm enough by then not to have to worry.