Blotting excess epoxy?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Blotting excess epoxy?

Post by goanywhere »

Hi all. Just a question. I am finding that no matter how frugal I try to be in applying epoxy to glass, I still get a few runs. I was wondering if it is an idea to blot some of the excess epoxy with paper hand towells to avoid the runs? That would cut down on a lot of sanding or scraping. I was thinking the reinforced stronger stuff, not the kitchen stuff that could fall apart and leave bits behind.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Blotting excess epoxy?

Post by jem »

you're better off using a squeegee to skim off the excess into a tray or bucket. Trying to absorb it will be a pain no matter what you try to use.
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

This had me confused as buggery as well goany. By squeegee we realy don't mean a rubber squeegee like you might use to clean windows. A credit card is probably the best thing to use, and the best use of a credit card as it happens. They are just right in terms of flexibility and a handy size. Raid your wife's purse for old "store cards", anything like mine and she will have half a dozen or so she no longer uses. Wipe off after use and you can use them a few times.
I also used a body filler scraper/blade thingy for a while made of realy flexible steel. To make it easier to clean after use I just covered the working edge with wide selotape each time and cleaned the whole lot off with a sharp chisel once it had hardened. Just check the corners and make sure you file down any nasty bits. Oh as Chuck would say don't use the magnetic edge, apparently the black stuff can melt and make a mess. You will be amazed at how much less epoxy you will use. Its better to have five thin applications than two or three thicker ones. I spread it out as far as I can before the dry bits grin through. If you hold it at a very low angle and pull. You will feel when you are going too far. Kind of a scrapey sensation as opposed to a smooth glide.
You will see what I mean when you do it. Then tip it off with a brush also held at a low angle. Helps to get a bigger area covered more quickly than just pushing it around with a brush. Also means less sanding. I usually pour on say a tablespoon full over a couple of feet or so then begin spreading it out. If you have been using a brush you will realy appreciate the difference.
Cheers John.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I've used the rubber window cleaning squeegees before. They actually work quites well.

But you are right: An auto body putty applicator (what ever it's called) works nice. I've found old credit cars to be a bit too stiff. But that's just my preference.

I also use a foam paint roller at times to apply the initial wet out of the fiberglass. Very little drips and runs.
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

I've used the rubber ones as well - they are especially good for excess epoxy removal at wet out and also for fill coats. I seem to recall Mick had one too. For the initial spreading during wet out a hard edged squeegee is OK but I reckon the soft edge gives a better finish.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I have a plastic one, I'll try that on the next coat on the pontoons and see how it goes.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!