Need help!! building my own canoe

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
mrxireland
Type of boat I like: canoe

Need help!! building my own canoe

Post by mrxireland »

Just like the title says. I have been fasanated about building my own canoe for the last few weeks and wanting to start sometime this week. I dont really have the money to buy a set of plans this time, i was going to try and build one without plans but i have came across these free plans online but they dont seem to have any measurments on these. Would love anyone here to point me in the right direction to where i can get the measurements to this canoe.

All ill be looking for this canoe is to use it on a lake and river close to me. I'll only be using it on teh river when its cam enough for me to canoe in as i dont have enough experience for fast water just yet.

Im hoping to build something around teh 14-16ft canoe that can hold 2 to 3 aduts and hopefully have 3 seats on it. Im also looking a canoe that i can use oars in instead of just a paddle. Ive been out a few times on a friends boat and i like the idea of rowing as well as paddleing.

Ill be looking to use 4mm ply and do a stich and glue with probly the whole canoe coverd in fiberglass and resin if i can afford it. Ill be moving onto a stick built canoe after ive tried this but this will be sometime next summer hopefully.

link for free plans http://www.jemwatercraft.com/FreePlans/ ... B03-10.pdf
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Need help!! building my own canoe

Post by jem »

Did you download both files per the email instructions? The other file has the drawings and dimensions.
-Matt. Designer.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

jem wrote:Did you download both files per the email instructions? The other file has the drawings and dimensions.

Matt,
I am a newcomer here; when I see a plans vendor pointing someone to free plans, now THAT is the kind of thing that instantly builds up my trust in JEM. :wink:
Les Richard Forgue
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Welcome! As a first-time builder myself, I can tell you that you will get an enormous amount of help from both Matt (JEM owner/designer) and all of the folks here. We are all addicted to building these craft (as you will no doubt be by the time you finish yours!) and more than willing to assist where we can. Please don't hesitate to hammer the forum here to get any questions answered, no matter how dumb you might think they are (the questions, not the members :lol: :lol:).

Cheers,

Steve.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

Thanks Steve; I will likely take good advantage of the experience and research offered here.

A few years ago I built a stitch and glue mostly plywood boat that did not turn out well at all. I did not use ANY plans at all. That boat was about 7 1/2 feet long and 30 inches broad, had a too round bottom and a ridiculous amount of rocker; as you can imagine, it performed like one of those Inuit or Welsh half-sphere boats (umiak? corricle?); if I even dared to think about heeling it, it would turn over and dump me before I knew what was happening.
So that is the last time I will build a boat without using plans.

Hit a snag trying to include a phot of that boat; here is a link to it:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a3066269 ... &sc=photos
Les Richard Forgue