North Wind for Fishing?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: North Wind for Fishing?

Post by rodot »

Bulkheads in a Northwind if I wanted to tandem at times would still be included in my build for several reasons , flotation, dry storage, stiffness of the hull. I have paddled tandem in my NW and it is a little tight with double paddles , with single blades and a rudder I think it would be fine. If I was going to make a dedicated tandem , it would have a four foot covered deck in the back with bulkheads , a 2 foot spacing on my front bulkhead with a 4 ft deck so the front paddler can have two foot to set there feet under the deck, the hull gets so narrow on the end you waste that front two feet anyway might as well use it for storage and flotation
I think you might have some very valid pionts Ron. I am thinking that it would be wise to change my mind and fit bulkheads with perhaps the front one made up to be set forward a bit to allow passenger legroom. I dont know if unequall sized compartments would be a problem.

Although I wont be using this craft in the ocean, I know from experience that these coastal lakes and bays can become very dangerous with the arrival of an unexpected Southerly. These wind storms are not uncommon in the summer around here.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

You are going to find this is a very special boat ,You have to remember this boat was patterned after the Sea Wind that was paddled a hundred thousand miles , in everything from tiny rivers to some of the most dangerous oceans in the world, a funny note here Verlene Kruger could not swim.
Making the decks egual lengths and different size hatches should not effect the handling at all , another little note ,this boat likes to be loaded heavy in the back end.
SOT I have to say I am not a fan off, Earvin made some valid points on the good points of a sot , and Kayaking is a very personal choice . My thoughts are a little different than his. The NW I think is the best of both worlds.
SOT have a higher wind signature , The NW has a shape that lets the wind shed over the decks ,NW want drain water but it can still be paddled pretty well with a flooded cockpit, a pump is no problem to fit.
I go back to what seems to have worked for years on folks that make unsuported trips on big lakes and oceans and normaly that means a sit inside.
If I was rigging for ocean paddling and non suported , I would have knee and thigh pads fitted ,this boat can be rolled ,I would also have a spray skirt. Plus the speed of these boats and how clean the cut the waves is much better than the SOT I have paddled with.
It is a personal choice that is for sure.
Ron
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Hi Ron,
I totally agree with you, if people fit out their boat as you have described and it can be rolled then it sounds like the best craft for long ocean paddling. In fact you make me want to build a northwind!
For just a day paddle on the ocean though for simplicity I would go the sot. As you say though it is a personal choice.
Either way it will be fun and that's why we do it.
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

I went for a swim as I tried to re-enter I realised that as I pushed down on the side the cockpit would instantly fill with water.

Being a large cockpit that would be a lot of water, I wasn't sure if I could re enter and still have any flotation. I was fishing with a buddy so got him to put is weight on one side whilst I entered from the other. No problem.

I may have been able to get in if I had an inflatable paddle thingy. There was nothing to grab onto from either end so an end entry wasn't going to work.

When I got back to land I took the beast onto a local lake and tried to remount as soon as I did the yak filled with water it had neutral buoyancy and even with me sitting in it would sink to a point where it was impossible to bail. So I went home cut out a frame 2 and frame 5 and glued them in against the deck supports.

That floated my boat...
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Nice experiment tor. It will be interesting to see what the difference is with the bulkhead installed. How are you trying to get back in?
Usually in a sea kayak in calm conditions one method of re-entry is to pull yourself up on the back deck keeping your weight as low as possible inch your way up towards the cockpit, keeping your chest close to the deck, until your bum is over the seat, then sit up and slide your bum in then your legs. Does that make sense? Good decklines can help get a good grip to pull yourself up initially.
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Here is another method I have had good luck with.
I hate the clunk of sitting my paddle across the cockpit when I am fishing
So I took some foam swim noodles ,cut 14 inches long and slide them over the sides so my paddle doesnt make any noise and I can prop the side of my leg against it so it doesnt gouge me. I know you are asking what does that have to do with re entry. Hold on I am getting there :mrgreen:
If I take a swim I slide one of the pool noodles over the shaft of my paddle and then slide the other end under the the bunjis on the front deck , works just like an outrigger and makes reentry pretty easy.
Ron
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

The NorthWind is a fantastic boat for fishing. Mine is extremely stable and a real joy to paddle. They are very efficient to paddle and as Ron said, If you paddle with sot's you will have to paddle SLOW. :D Ron and I paddle and fish together quite a bit and it is amazing just how close the performance is between the S&G and the strip built boats. I will also say that they like to be loaded heavy to the stern (more so than you would think).

Ron's Northwiind on the left, mine on the right.

Darrell Sykora