Difference between SOT designs

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Difference between SOT designs

Post by Earvin »

Hi Matt,

Can you give me a run down on the main differences as you see them between the different SOT designs you have available? I have been lured by a certain Sabalo build of late, but I also like the look and description of the Wadefish - "We took this concept and shaped it to achieve a hull with genuine surf and rough water capability and have a sea kayak-like, planing hull".

And then there is the upcoming 12 foot Sabalo :?
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
Earvin

Re: Difference between SOT designs

Post by Earvin »

The Blue Fin model is the 4th generation of our Sit On Top line up. It features a open cockpit a new subfloor design that is lighter and easier to build. :? :D
Simon

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Sabalo is more of straight-line tracker while the wadefish won't track as hard and allow for easier turning. Wadefish has cockpit top more adept with laying your legs over the sides.
-Matt. Designer.
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Thanks Matt, and what about the Blue Fin?

I like the idea of looser tracking, and hanging the legs over so the Wadefish is in front so far. I read about it being a wetter ride with water coming up through the scuppers a little, which doesn't really bother me, but can you explain this a bit more Matt?
Simon

jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

how much comes up the scuppers depends on the total weight of paddler and boat. If you exceed the recommended limit, you'll get more water in the scuppers.

Wadefish was designed to be speedier, so narrower. To keep stability, I kept the cockpit lower to the water. So it would take less total weight to have water come up in the scuppers than compared to the sabalo.

The Sabalo 12 (12' x 30") will handle total weight of 300 pounds with it still being dry. Hull weight should be ~45 lbs with using Okoume. Probably could get near 40 using cedar strip-stitch technique. But I have to crunch the final numbers so don't quote me exactly on that hull weight estimate.
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Blue fin is a lot like the Sabalo except a different build method with a more open cockpit.
-Matt. Designer.
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Ok so Wadefish is speedier, more maneuverable, but takes less weight. I have a tendency to travel light so the wadefish is sounding good so far.
Simon

goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I compared the three and came up with the Sabalo because it seemed just a bit easier to build than the Wadefish (maybe not much though), and more of a true tracker than the Bluefin, which suits me because I am rigging it for sailing. I do like some of the features of the Bluefin, particularly if you have kiddies who might need to be accommodated occasionally, it being easier to fit temporary or adjustable seating with an open cockpit design. Something I thought of for the Bluefin, it might be possible to stretch out and sleep on it! Novel idea for some overnight situations.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

I was worried about the "wet" Wadefish before I built my twins but even with the great big hole for the Mirage drive in them I have found out that they are drier than my plastic SOTs that I have so I wouldnt worry about that at all. Now I have fitted a seat with a higher back for the peddling I am even drier. :D :D :D
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Wadefish is sounding like the boat for me and the good wife thinks a SOT is the way to go for now and build the canoe after the new bub is born. It sure makes it easier when you think alike. :D
Simon