Cape Fear storage

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cape Fear storage

Post by olsnappa »

Matt, (and anyone else with an opinion on this)….. a question.
Since building the CF, I’ve been storing it on the work bench it was built on.
As space is at a bit of a premium, I have to work out where and how to store her permanently.
I’ll make a cradle or sling arrangement against a wall but from a space point of view it would be preferable to have her sitting on her side rather than upright….saving myself a few inches…..yes space is that tight at the moment. :roll:
My question is: Do you think there is any greater risk of deformity of her shape if supported as shown below, rather than flat on her hull?
Note: I have to get her off the work area so I can start the next build!!! :)
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Cape Fear storage

Post by OnkaBob »

Hi Jorn,
I can relate to your space problem :roll: .

Your idea doesn't look too bad as is to me especially the rear sling as it is around the rear bulkhead which will hold the shape in that area. If you are worried about the gunnel being distorted at the front sling you could either:
- move the sling forward so it is very close to the foredeck (practicality depends a bit on weight distribution)
or
- make a removable thwart/bulkhead that will jam inside the hull at the point where the sling goes around it. Pad the edges with rubber and then you can just knock it out when you go paddling.

Assume you will use wide strapping instead of rope or similar.
What is the all up weight?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

should work out fine.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

I store two kayaks in the garage, above the roll-up door. There is about 2' of usable space between the door and the ceiling. My canoe will not fit; kayaks do.

I screwed in pulleys on the ceiling, and tied ones on the boat (using belly-bands similar to what you may have on your existing mount). My ropes (one fore, & one aft of centerline) are tied to the ceiling, run down to the pulley on the boat, through the boat pulley, back up to the ceiling and through a second pulley (this now gives a 2:1 mechanical advantage to ease lifting). From there, the ropes run to a pulley on the side wall, and down to a cleat for tie off.

I store my boats flat rather than on edge.

According to lights, door tracks, door springs, etc. that may be be in your garage, additional pulleys may be needed to route ropes around obstacles.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

OnkaBob, Matt, Kayak Jack......Thanks for the opinions and advice.....
OnkaBob...... The CF weight is around 22kg (48lbs)
KJ.....I'd considered suspending it like that but I have a series of storage shelves built across the ceiling which effectively brings the overhead height down too low to include the CF below them.......Hmmm, I think I've just got too much stuff.
The kayak will work on the wall. I just wanted to be sure she wasn't going to distort in any way.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

John,

Should it distort, bring it here to Michigan. We have the Round River that would be perfect. Of course, you would have to go around only one way.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

My question here is not about the Cape Fear, but it is about storage, and this is the only 'storage' topic I found and don't want to start a whole other topic just for my question.

The question: Is there any history of totally glassed and epoxy-resined boats getting chewed on by mice, squirrels, possums, porcupines, etc?The ground level crawl space of my covered back porch is where I plan to store my canoe (once I build it); It would be quite a challenge to keep out the local fauna (no porcupines this far south (Chicago) but plenty of squirrels and possums and occasionally mice, all quite eager to sharpen their teeth on the best laid plans of men.
Thank you.
Les Richard Forgue
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

hmm... never heard of one doing that. Not sure of the smell of epoxy would drive them away or not.
-Matt. Designer.