Wood density

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Wood density

Post by Manjimike »

I put this subject in the search box and nothing helpe.
Is there a wood density chart on the forum?
Is Radiata pine too heavy for ss&g?

Cheers
Mike
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Wood density

Post by tx river rat »

Try here
http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html
Be a pretty hefty boat.
Ron
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Thanks Ron, will have a good read

Mike
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

This site gives a bit of info on radiata pine.http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/species ... adiata.pdf
At 550 kg/ m it's getting on towards twice the wieght of Western Red Cedar. You would have to watch out for the knots too I would imagine. What about Paulownia? http://www.paulownia-timber-sales.com.au/index.html

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Thanks Roger, not sure what is available in regional West Oz, but will have to make some enquiries.
I have a whole lot of pine I could slice up and not have to worry about knots but I don't want to make it too heavy though.

Cheers
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

I think I have found a source for Paulownia and WRC in Perth.
Now I just need to work out what size strips to use, so I know how much to get.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

In my case I like to keep the weight down so that I can manhandle the boat in and out of the water and onto the roof of the car easily. My mind is willing but Im afraid my back is not. But I reckon once the boat is in the water a few kilos one way or the other is not about to make a lot of difference. Certainly a cheap source of timber will make a big difference to the bank balance and i am sure a bit of money left over could be well spent on some of that produce from your Margret River. :wink:

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Manjimup produces as good or better wines :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

My current craft is a Prowler 4.5 Elite & I put it on a Toyota Troopcarrier, so at 60 I need to lighten the load a bit as well :lol: :lol:

Cheers Mike