Dynel cloth or graphite?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
puddy
Type of boat I like: Canoe or kayak

Dynel cloth or graphite?

Post by puddy »

I'm at the point now that I need to order my fiberglass. I plan to glass inside and out instead of taping.
I was on Duckworks site and they have dynel cloth to improve abrasion resistance. Any one have any experience with this?
I'm building the touring pirogue T that will mostly be used in a river that has a lot of shallow rocky sections, potentially going over a lot of logs and rocks and being pulled up onto rocky shores.
I was planning on graphite, though I don't really like the look of it. Does any one know does dynel wet out clear? How does it compare to graphite for abrasion resistance?
Thanks a lot,

Chris
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Dynel cloth or graphite?

Post by jem »

It work much like e-glass ("normal" fiberglass). But it swells as it absorbs resin. It's preferred to be used with vacuum bagging.

You can lay it up by hand but be aware of the swelling issue. As a wear strip, shouldn't matter but do a test piece first.
-Matt. Designer.
puddy

Post by puddy »

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how it compares to graphite for abrasion resistance?
Thanks,

Chris
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Everyone I have talked to says they will never use it again.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The graphite helps make the surface more slippery and deflects the things that dig into the hull. I don't know which is more abrasion resistant.

For the trouble, you might be better off just doubling up on strips of e-glass or add some wood runners.
-Matt. Designer.
puddy

Post by puddy »

tx river rat wrote:Everyone I have talked to says they will never use it again.
Ron
that's good to know
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

puddy wrote:Thanks for the reply. Do you know how it compares to graphite for abrasion resistance?
Thanks,

Chris
I coated the bottom of my yak with epoxy/graphite. At first I wasn't sure if it was any more scratch resistant than ordinary epoxy, but after a couple of weeks I am now convinced. It does seem to take a bit longer to cure to maximum hardness than straight epoxy, but once hardened it is fantastic.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

That guy at http://tomangelakis.tripod.com/graphite_bottom.htm (cited in a graphite thread in the Tips and Tricks section,)
he mentions an ongoing nuisance of the graphite rubbing off on hands, clothing, etc,

anyone have a remedy for that?

Thanks.
Les Richard Forgue
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

That guy at http://tomangelakis.tripod.com/graphite_bottom.htm (cited in a graphite thread in the Tips and Tricks section,)
he mentions an ongoing nuisance of the graphite rubbing off on hands, clothing, etc,
G'day les,

I think that bloke is talking through his bum. Either that, or he might have put waaaaay too much graphite in his epoxy. I use about 20% by volume of graphite to the mixed resin and have never had any problem with the black stuff rubbing off on me. it sets as hard as a rock.

The bottoms of my boats get an awfull flogging on rocks, gravel, logs and the like, even barnicles and oysters at times and the graphite mix works a treat for me.
:D

and the worst is a few scratches on the bottom :D

that another layer of graphite easily fixes. :mrgreen:
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Reckon this would be an issue only if the graphite/resin surface was sanded. Why sand back a protective layer? Never had it happen to me.
Cheers John.