Strip build

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
toolman
Type of boat I like: the Laker freedom strip

Strip build

Post by toolman »

Good morning Matt ,I have a couple of questions about the freedom stip build.First ,I've been ready Nick Schades book and in the set up of the strong back he says to go by the measurements on your plans for the placement of the forums.I didn't find those measurements on the plans,next he says to place the end forms at the ends and the middle form at the widest point,is the widest piont the middle of the boat and what is the distance from the middle to the end forms. The plans I have is the 15'freedom strip.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Strip build

Post by jem »

The Freedom plans were created before I recommended his book but you can use the 4" waterline reference and draw your backbone box on top of the midpoint of it.

#8 is the widest form. #8 to the tip of the bow is 8'2. To the stern is 7'2. Note: these are on-center dimensions. Not from edges of forms/stations.
-Matt. Designer.
toolman

Post by toolman »

Thanks that was a greart hepl.Do you also have the centre to centre measurement for the rest of the forms and also how far up do you cut the forms to go on the back bone.are there any other books you would recomend
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Make your backbone slot to fit the cross section dimensions of the backbone. All the slots would be in the same relative position centered on the 4" waterline reference.

The forms/stations are 12" apart on center. So just deduct as you go along.

Kayak Craft is in my library of boat building books. http://www.bookdepository.com/ has it cheap with free shipping right now.
-Matt. Designer.
toolman

Post by toolman »

Thanks Matt ,I've found the book at our local library so I'll have a look at it before I purchase one.
toolman

Post by toolman »

Finally my freedom 15 strip build is underwayMy starter strip is Nogal (puruvine walnut) The others are western red cedarImageImageImageImageImage
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

looking good!
-Matt. Designer.
toolman

Post by toolman »

Thanks Matt ,I'm trying to take more time with this one .It's certainly more work than the laker was.Some of it has been a little tricky but I've worked through it by watching Nick's videos and reading Ted Moore's book.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Toolman
Are you using 1 1/2 wide strips?
Ron
toolman

Post by toolman »

The strips measure out at 1" with a 30 degree angle on each side. I'm useing 1x6 western red cedar and set my blade for 1/4" at 30 degree angle so I only make one cut.