Strip build

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Wannabe

Re: Strip build

Post by Wannabe »

Toolman,
What is the 30 degree angle on each side for?
Bob
toolman
Type of boat I like: the Laker freedom strip

Post by toolman »

Matt suggested that angle instead of puting on the cove and bead.So thats what I used to bring the edges together.At certain points the had to be hand plained to fit because of the curves but I think they turned out OK. Now the centre line is cut and it's on to the other side.ImageImage
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

toolman wrote:Matt suggested that angle instead of puting on the cove and bead.So thats what I used to bring the edges together.At certain points the had to be hand plained to fit because of the curves but I think they turned out OK. Now the centre line is cut and it's on to the other side.ImageImage
To be clear: I said to leave that natural angle alone and fill the gap with epoxy since you'll round it off later. You could bevel for a little bit tighter fit. But if you're using epoxy-glue (epoxy with some filler to thicken it), you want that slight v-channel.
-Matt. Designer.
toolman

Post by toolman »

Sorry Matt you were right you did say 30 to 60 degree if I was using epoxy and filler but I'm glueing them and so for seems to be working out but I do have use the small hand plain for a better fit on the curves
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

What if you bead and cove and install the strips with the cove up it would make a nice little channel to hold your bead of glue in place while installing the next strip. Just a thought.
Bob
toolman

Post by toolman »

The idea of the angle was to save a little time and work.Most of the stripping I've got was free wood and it was thought this why might be easier. I alternate the angle cuts so they follow the curve over the moulds and so far things are coming toghter quite nicelyWith the cure there is also more area of gluing surface .Thanks for the the input Terry
toolman

Post by toolman »

Here are picture of the deck now glassed with 2 coats of epoxy. The other pictures are of the lake I'll be paddling on.ImageImageImageImage
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

Terry,

Looking great! Is the thin dark strip down the middle of the hull the same walnut you used as your starter strip?

Jay
toolman

Post by toolman »

yes it is .It's nogal
toolman

Post by toolman »

It's been a long hall but the deck is finally together ,now the sanding starts to get ready for the glassing.The strip build sure is a challenge but I've thourghly enjoyed it this far but there is still a long way to go.ImageImage