Made me appreciate my wooden boats

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Made me appreciate my wooden boats

Post by tx river rat »

I stopped by a kayak shop today and they had a rigged out hobbie ,sails ,pontoons ,drive unit .
5,700.00 Dollars
Ouch
Love my wood
Ron
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Re: Made me appreciate my wooden boats

Post by makenmend »

had to have one when they 1st came out ( I was still working then ) in 06/07
Still have it, the only plastic boat I have left.

but she is the genesis for this.

[url][Image/url]

And yes I love my wooden boats.That hull is doing the Colorado freeze trip this weekend, sorry you couldn't make it Ron, really wanted to see that Northwind (like I need another project right now :roll: )

MM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Ron....

On the Brazos with you Darrell and Bill if you will remember Bill had his new Kevlar Canoe that he dropped $2,100.00 for and it was considered a second ( scratched ) not the top ( showroom ) that goes for full price.

The Sasquatch ( 14x30 ) that I made , got the kit from Matt back in the dark ages when they were available , and added some more expense to it. Especially that Teflon paint for the bottom along with the primer ( filler ) paint for it. Anyway with the kit and all the rest of the expense I figured the Sasquatch cost me $600.00 for everything to make it the way I did. I did go overboard when making this one since it is the one I plan on having for a long time.
Now Bills Kevlar canoe weighed 32 pounds and the Sasquatch weighs 30 pounds.
As I told Bill , I could make three of my canoes for what his cost and still have beer money left over. :D

The Sasquatch was almost double the price of what I normally can make a boat for , especially a Pirogue. Making a wood boat does have a lot of advantages.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Chuck and watching you and Bill paddle they were close in performance.
Ron