Panel dimension tolerance with or without spacers

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

Panel dimension tolerance with or without spacers

Post by JGood »

I am going to build a Sabalo with the ss&g method as described by Ron on his Northwind. It seems to me that additional width would need to be added to the panel dimensions to allow for the tight joints verses using spacers. Are the panel dimensions that critical? I have spent years building high end circular stairs that I dimensioned to the 1/64th of an inch. How much space has been allowed on the stock plans for spacers?
Thanks
Jesse
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Panel dimension tolerance with or without spacers

Post by jem »

The spacers do create a larger gap and on multi-panel hulls, the stack up can throw things off.

Keep in mind the spacers are optional. The are used to tame wavy panels and lesser quality wood. They are not a requirement.
-Matt. Designer.
JGood
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15 32

Post by JGood »

Hi Matt
From your response, I assume the plans are dimensioned from point to point of the forms, multi spacers create some run up on subsequent panels. I also assume that, if I intend to hand plane the panels to close all gaps, I would need to add enough to each panel to allow for the difference between a short point and a long point dimension in accordance with the greatest angle of the particular panel.and then hand plane back for a perect fit. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks
Jesse
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

When building with epoxy, super tight seams are not required. Too tight and the epoxy glue squeezes out of the seam and can't do its job. The natural "V" channel formed by panels meeting at a chine is actually beneficial. It’s quite different than building with traditional wood glue.

The chines are also rounded over so the fiberglass can lay flat over the change in angle. So eliminating that gap/V-channel is not a good thing.
-Matt. Designer.
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Post by Whirly »

jem wrote:The chines are also rounded over so the fiberglass can lay flat over the change in angle. So eliminating that gap/V-channel is not a good thing.
Ron,
how did you handle this when you did your SS&G build?
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

The Northwind has so many panels (12) it is round on the outside on the inside I did regular filets.
Ron