JEM Watercraft

JEM Watercraft

Customer Service Forum
Direct Links To: Canoe Plans  --  Kayak Plans  --  Other Plans
 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sealing hatches
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am
Posts: 374
Location: Adelaide, South Australia.
Hi Bob, you're a font of good advice as usual.

The neoprene I am using is soft closed-cell neoprene foam, and seems to work well, I tested it with a bucket of water thrown over the bow and no water got in, but I will also beef up the downward pressure of the bungees. I could go to tie-downs which might be a good alternative, but I think I will stick with my plan and see how it works out.

I have seen your hatches, and I like what you have done, but I will see how I go with my ideas before I look at internal bungees.

I am really happy with the Sabalo. I've had to attend to some minor leaks from the scuppers, but overall it's a great fishing/sailing unit.

_________________
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sealing hatches
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am
Posts: 374
Location: Adelaide, South Australia.
This is what I did tonight. The dowell strips are glued in place, I will finish them tomorrow night.

Image

This is the proposed setup for the splash diverter.

Image

Image

I would think that this should take care of the problem.

The crappy finish is due to me not cleaning it properly from the last trip, and also the varnish is flaking off. I will be re-varnishing over winter with a much better product and more attention to detail.

_________________
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sealing hatches
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am
Posts: 374
Location: Adelaide, South Australia.
Just an update. I finished the wash diverter and the hatch the other week, and last week went out at night fishing locally. I had to make my way through a few waves that did break over the bow, but on inspection after the outing there was no water in the front section. Looks like it worked. The wash deflector doesn't stop everything, but the water pressure against the hatch seal is much less when a wave does broach over the top, so the seal is enough to keep the water out.

Tick, another fix. :D

_________________
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum