canoe outriggers

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
jim

canoe outriggers

Post by jim »

I was wondering if the pontoon boat plan could be scaled down for use as outriggers on my canoe. Say to about 3 foot long and placed about 2 foot off the side. How would I scale them if this is feasible? Could I just proportionally down size all the numbers or would it be more involved than that? Any help or suggestions?
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You can scale them proportionally.

If it's just those shapes you want, send me an e-mail and we'll work something out.
-Matt. Designer.
jim

outriggers

Post by jim »

I think these shapes would be fine for this application but have thought of maybe not wanting a flat bottom on them and altering that. I think I would like to minimize any drag as much as possible, any thoughts as to what would be pertinant to accomplishing that would be welcome.
skyphi

canoe outriggers

Post by skyphi »

If you just wanted a simple outrigger that you could use for fishing or sitting still, I built one for my townsend that I am finishing up out of PVC pipe and foam pipe insulation. What I did was make like a "J" shape out of PVC that hooks over the side of the boat and wrapped it in the foam insulation, so not to scratch the boat, then elbowed it out about five feet, put a "T" on that and put a piece of PVC on either end of the "T" making a big "T" and wrapped that part in foam insulation and capped all ends to trap air inside. It is vitrually unsinkable and works great If you only glue the Elbows and T's then you can take it apart and carry it anywhere.