Touring Pirogue

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Thumbs
Type of boat I like: Touring Pirogue

Touring Pirogue

Post by Thumbs »

Matt
Thanks for replying to my post on Old Sparkey forum ("do I need a pirogue?").
I do have a couple more questions for you though and thought it would be better for me to post them here.
I've studied your plans some more and really, really like the Touring Pirogue 15-29 as shown in the page below.
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/StudyPlans ... yPlans.htm
I understand that this design doesn't perhaps address all my concerns regarding stability and wind but the simplicity of the design and layout more than make up for that.
Some questions though:-
Is the stability or tippiness of a pirogue due to the flat bottom and some form of suction? Is this greatly improved if the bottom is slightly veed?
With regard to wind, would the tracking be improved by the addition of say 3 rubbing strips / mini keels fixed to the bottom?
thanks
Jeff
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Touring Pirogue

Post by jem »

Stability comes from hull shape, paddler ability, and target payload on board.

Pirogues have less secondary stability (that predictable stability when leaning left or right) because the sides tend to be more vertical than flared at an angle. But that's not the only reason. When a boat that is for paddling sits 3-5" deep in the water, it gets enough "bite" to where it's stable but not feeling sluggish. If a pirogue is built and used in this manner, it will feel nicely stable. There is no bottom suction effect.

The Touring Pirogue can be made to track straight using rub strips or by adding a rudder or fixed fin off the stern. I would add one strip at a time and test paddle it to see if you think you need more.
-Matt. Designer.
Thumbs

Post by Thumbs »

Matt
Given that I'm not intending to be paddling over submerged logs as in a swamp but more likely to be over a sand bar or mud flat so a completely flat bottom is not essential, would there be any advantage, as far as tracking and stability are concerned, to build the boat with a slightly veed bottom, as in the TV but without the tumblehome top panel?
Jeff
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Well I don't have a TP-V in my line up.

But theoretically is would help tracking a little.
-Matt. Designer.
Thumbs

Post by Thumbs »

Point taken - I guess it would change the panels somewhat.
New model maybe??? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Think I might just stick to the basic model at this stage and add the rubbing strips if required.
Thanks the input Matt.
cheers
Jeff
Thumbs

Post by Thumbs »

Another question!
Trying to work out some costs.
Does the quantity of epoxy you give in the BOM allow for drenching the plywood and also for fibreglassing the hull inside and out?
thanks
Jeff
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

yes
-Matt. Designer.
Mick
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and canoes

Post by Mick »

G'day Jeff and welcome aboard mate.

I live just up the road from you on the Fraser Coast. :D

I built the prototype of the touring pirogue and I think it would be ideal in your estuaries down there. I sold mine to a work mate in a moment of madness and just haven't got round to building another one.

Re the stability thing, I think a lot depends on the paddler in these boats. I weigh around 95kgs (210 pounds) and with the seat around 6 inches off the bottom, I found the boat stable enough to fish from.

Re the cost, my boat was an experiment and I built her out of 4mm external bracing ply (2 sheets) at about $14.00 per sheet from Bunnings. I think that fibre glass tape and epoxy around the seams inside and out would be plenty structually in this case and simply saturate the ply itself with epoxy and then paint to protect it. If I build another touring pirogue, I will probably do this.

I was pretty pleased with the way my boat came out using the cheap ply.

Thumbs

Post by Thumbs »

Hey Mick
Talking to you on two forums is a challenge but a good one. I get to ask two sets of questions. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking at the picture you attached the finish on your boat looks terrific. You have every right to be pleased.
Is it you and your boat that are shown on the "Touring Pirogue Study Plan " page?
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/StudyPlans ... yPlans.htm
If so, that's the image that convinced me to go with the Touring Pirogue. Such nice clean lines - NOT YOU, THE BOAT!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And a great uncluttered layout. Looks like a great boat.
I like the idea of using an inexpensive ply to keep the cost down but have some concerns about the quality and strength of the bracing ply as its only a 3 ply and not very strong across the grain. I think if I was to go that way, i would be happier with glassing the boat in and out to ensure the strength is there. Old habits die hard (engineer - can't help it!!!!)
I did post another couple of questions for you on the other forum if you get a chance to look there.
thanks again.
Jeff
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

Harry, what photo storage do you use? I've got Photobucket and I couldn't get pictures to post last week and I tried every size I could think of. I don't know if it's Matt's problem or Photobucket, but I do see your picture posted above. Good lookin' boat you got there, Mate.