Wadefish fiberglass question...

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
echo5000
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Wadefish fiberglass question...

Post by echo5000 »

Having a heck of a time uploading the pic to show what I mean, but I've laid my first layer of glass and now doing a light sanding to remove bumps and whats left is a white ish hue/tint and also some clumps of epoxy,as well as some exposed bits of glass, after another test coat in a small area of epoxy over a nicely sanded area, the white ish areas are still visible,as are the clumps under the second coat of epoxy, I dont want to continue without knowing for sure I'm doing the right thing. My feathering is also still visible under the second coat. Should I clean the area better before sanding, if so with what, acetone?, or sand more with a stronger grit. Would a scraper take care of those epoxy clumps? Probably silly questions, but wanna know before continuing. I would like to post the album I have on photobucket but having some problems uploading...Image , here is a link to the pic...Thanks all. So far the boat looks great, I look to have it slimed by mid-June...

Jon

Here is another pic...Image
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Wadefish fiberglass question...

Post by jem »

A good scrubbing with acetone doesn't hurt. Be mindful of the safety precautions listed on the acetone can.

It looks like you just went a little heavy with the epoxy in some areas. Carefully try to knock those down some without cutting into the glass fibers surrounding those areas. A sanding block would do a good job. A scraper if you take you time and accept you'll get to remove a little at a time. I hate doing this step because I lose patience and get too heavy handed and do more harm than good.

Of course the time to fix this is avoid putting on heavy coats of epoxy in the first place. But you'll get better at that as you build more. I have first hand experience with that!! :oops:

Apply another LIGHT coat of epoxy for weave fill. Lightly sand after it's past it's green and tacky state. This will take a couple days to cycle through fixing it up. Do fuss over it. You'll do fine.
-Matt. Designer.
echo5000
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Post by echo5000 »

I'll try that, thanks Matt.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I had a similar problem with mine, also my first build. It takes a bit of practice to not go too heavy handed with stuff. I over applied epoxy filleting material in some spots, and had other problems that didn't look to good asthetically. In the end I decided to paint the sides and bottom and leave the top areas natural. It turned out fantastic and I didn't need to feel like I'd spoiled everything.

Have a look and see what you think.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3426&start=190
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!